Wellmark

www.wellmark.com
There are newer employer reviews for Wellmark

Autocratic, role confusion, feigned accountability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark

Pros

The employees are friendly and good work life balance exists. There is an awesome free fitness center. Benefits are OK and the company strives to help employees live healthy.

Cons

Many employees are unwilling to take any chances and look beyond the mundane. This might be because there is seldom any significant reward for doing so. Laying low and standing under the radar is the norm.

Salaries are low and Human Resources allows little leeway for managers to reward exceptional performance.

Delegate authority. You really do get what you pay for in an employee.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Wellmark (View Most Recent)

Dead End!

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Representative in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark

Pros

There is very little expected of the marketing staff regarding growth on a new business basis. If you are looking for a place to hide, Wellmark is a solid option.

Cons

The compensation formula for new business in a marketing capacity is very low within the industry. Senior management hides behind doors and has no concept of the clients needs and/or concerns.

You all need to get out of Des Moines more often and get a real feel for your clients.

Great Internship

Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern at Wellmark, we had the best possible start to our career that we ever could have hoped for. We were given access to the CEO and CIO, and I was personally given access to the VP of Finance to discuss future job opportunities, the current health care market situation, ect. They honestly care about career development and advancement. My internship at Wellmark really set the tone for what the rest of my career is going to be like, simply awesome.

Cons

The only complaint I have about Wellmark is that there is a definite culture problem. There are members of HR that seem to take advantage of their position. For example, certain members of HR in higher positions of power, treat people horribly and act childish if they don't get their way. Furthermore, if someone were to go out of their way to expose this behavior, the person who was in power in the HR department would take action to make it look like you were simply a bad employee. They have instituted a sort of "judge, jury, and executioner" tactic that is simply not okay. HR are supposed to be the people who look out for you in the work place, not the people who you are wary of.

My only advice to management at Wellmark is to take deliberate action to fix the culture problem brought on by HR. It may not be politically correct, but for the betterment of the company and to ensure longevity, something must be done. I know that over half of the team I worked with during my time at Wellmark has left due to these HR issues because they are simply impossible to work with.

There are newer employer reviews for Wellmark