Wells College
www.wells.edu Aurora, NY 50 to 149 Employees

Beautiful, but failing institution

Associate Professor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wells College full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGorgeous setting on lake with ivy-covered, historic buildings. Access to Ithaca and Cornell University. Minimal bureaucracy because of small size. Tight community of good, helpful people. Good place to break into a career, learn many aspects of a job and move on! Loyal alumnae.

ConsThis school is perpetually on the brink of financial collapse. Every summer there is a cash flow problem/budget freeze because the school has to wait for new tuition revenue. A once-healthy endowment is now nearly depleted. Faculty salaries have stagnated since 2008, were reduced and restored, but retirement benefit was nearly eliminated. Tuition is more than $40k, but the college attracts mostly weak students who didn't get into better schools, so academic rigor has eroded. School is tied to unprofitable auxiliary businesses (Aurora Inn and related properties) that only make the overall financial situation worse. Winters in the Finger Lakes are brutal!

Advice to Senior ManagementTie faculty salaries to merit and activities. There are no consequences for being retired in place, and no rewards for doing good work--this has led to stagnation, entitlement, and has ruined morale. The dean should have the power to make such decisions, but is bound by dated governance.

Nice place to lose a few years

Network Services Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Wells College

Pros: It's a small school so there is an opportunity to keep many skills current. … Cons: It's a small liberal arts college that is undergoing severe financial stress. Facing declining market share and a depleted endowment, aging infrastructure and increasing… Advice to Senior Management: The college now needs to find a reason to be able to maintain it's higher than average price for an education. An emphasis… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

RA at Wells College

Resident Advisor (Former Employee)
Aurora, NY

I worked at Wells College as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: It was a learning experience. Cons: Not always managed in the best way. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Wells College.

Worked for Wells College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wells College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wells College CEO Thomas E. J. deWitt, Ph.D. All reviews posted anonymously by Wells College employees.