Tough company to satisfy

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Eden Prairie, MN
Former Employee - Loan Officer in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, time off, and fun people to work with. Many opportunities to move to other departments if you know someone.

Cons

No matter how hard you work, it never seems good enough. Numbers, numbers, numbers. Internal moves are tough unless you have network or contacts.

Other Employee Reviews for Wells Fargo

Right intentions but never realized...

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Specialist in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Specialist in Orange, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stated company goal is to help people succeed financially. Many of the policies and procedures are aimed to that end. On paper the principles that this company is based on are sound.

Cons

Overdrive Sales culture creates a bad place for customers and employees. Branch Personal Bankers are told to meet sales goals and threatened to be fired without meeting them, even if there are no customers walking in the door. Inbound Sales Bankers are having customers who have no expressed needs transfered to them for "Account Reviews" which means that they are being sent over not really understanding why in hopes that we can sell them something they didn't know they needed. Having provided this feedback through proper channels in meetings with leadership we bankers were told that it wasn't this bad and we must be making it up and they were going forward with these "reviews" as the new "go to" referral. As a result of all of this customers are sold things they don't need, and sometimes don't want. A second checking account can be a good tool for some people, but it's sold as the go to "solution" to needs customers don't have often making their situation worse. I worked at two branches where everyone who came in for a checking was given 2 savings accounts to seperate real money from overdraft protection money, which is a total scam because customers are covered for 100% of fraud. Credit cards and line of credits applied for without discussing the ramifications in full, many customers think they are just applying for "Overdraft Protection" or "Emergency Money" but don't realize the terms and conditions of a credit line. And now at most branches people are getting the "debit card overdraft service" on new accounts without being asked or the service being fully explained so customers call in with fees wondering why their debit card isn't being declined when there isn't enough money. Having worked service and sales, branch and call center, I wouldn't trust the rep's to give the right answers to questions. They are so busy trying to meet high sales goals in the service department that customers get transfered to sales without fully being taken care of. I closed my accounts and my extended families and suggested they all go to a credit union.

Advice to Management

Pull the sales numbers down and transfer of customers to sales force down. Create a system where sales are needs based not units based. Customers don't need 1/3 of what's being opened for them now just to meet a sales goal. I'm going to a credit union!

Experience depends on the branch you are at.

Former Employee - Teller in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Teller in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wells Fargo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Even Part time has benefits * Many options for advancement as long as you make the needed sales

Cons

* Sales requirements are insanely high * Since Wells has acquired other banks there are some inconsistencies among branches * Benefits are expensive and pay is below average * Advancement is difficult * Manager was about herself and did not appreciate employees * Incomplete training and expectations

Advice to Management

Revamp the whole system so there is an equal format in all stores. The branch I was at had many issues with disrespect and inablity in the higher ups.