There are newer employer reviews for Werner Enterprises

Schnieder would be a better company.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Lakeland, FL
Former Employee - Truck Driver in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire people straight out of driving school. Not many companies will do this. Had my wife not left me with a young child to raise while I was over the road in training, I would have stayed with the company. However, Schnieder would be a much better choice if you're just out of school, because Schnieder will send you to a 6 week school before putting you with a trainer OTR WHO ACTUALLY HAS TO STAY AWAKE WHEN YOU"RE DRIVING! Werner runs you like a team from day one - -when you're driving, your trainer is asleep.

Cons

You basically teach yourself to drive a truck because most of the time the trainer is asleep while you're driving. Yes, this is extremely dangerous...but it's also allowed by Werner. The quality of most of the trainers leaves a lot to be desired. The first trainer I had was very anal retentive. I was made to take my shoes off whenever I was in the truck, and was not allowed to eat in the sleeper. He also had a MAJOR attitude. What was worse is the guy TEXTED AND PLAYED VIDEO GAMES ON HIS CELLPHONE WHILE DRIVING! Worst of all, he made me sleep in the upper sleeper while the truck was moving AND IT DID'NT EVEN HAVE A SAFETY HARNESS! rtrainer

Advice to Management

Take a page from "undercover boss" and see if the trainiers are really training. Don't simply rely on an exit survey (which you apparently aren;t reading anyway.) The first trainer refused to give his employee ID # and gets away with it. I had three trainers with Werner, one was good for the most part, the other two ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

Other Employee Reviews for Werner Enterprises

Newbies start with someone else!

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A couple of the dispachers are not to bad.

Cons

They dont even try to get you home when you ask. You may have to file withg the labor board to recieve your reimbursements like I am doing. They take advantage of the regional drivers by sending them out of thier region but not paying the higher 48 state wages. Getting in and out of the terminals is a pain, every one of them is set up and run differently. The night and weekend crews for dispatch and so called "trip planners" must be people they round up at homeless and drug rehab shelters and have no buisiness even working there, there is one or two exceptions on that. For a company of its size it is the most mickey mouse unorganized place I have ever worked at. And to top it off they have the lowest starting pay of almost any other trucking company.

Advice to Management

WAKE UP! The drivers are what keep your buisiness alive, better pay and some decent night and weekend crew would make a world of difference.

how many laws can we break

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Manchester, PA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Manchester, PA

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay was not too bad, plus the home on weekends not bad either

Cons

supposed to have off weekends but never knowing when your weekend was going to begin or end, being forced to use personal drive time to make deliverys on time, getting sick and having a doctors note saying that you MAY NOT drive, yet being told that you HAVE to come out and drive or your truck will be towed and an abandonment added to your record, dispatchers treat drivers like dirt, all you are to this company is a piece of equiptment that is assigned a number.