West Corporation

www.west.com

Treat our clients' customers (American Express) like gold while we treat you like lumps of coal...

Client Services (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThe pay at $12.50 per hour was a little better than other call centers in the area. It was possible to log onto the call center schedule in advance and post hours that you wanted to take off so coworkers could pick up extra shifts. By the same token, overtime was frequently available for those who wanted the extra money by picking up other shifts. Paid time off and Unpaid time off was available and accrued, so it was possible to have a fairly balanced work/time off lifestyle. However, it seemed that after being there over 6 months, I still wasn't working the earlier daytime hours I would have preferred. I was still stuck working 10 am to 6:30 pm - which sometimes meant up to 7 pm, as West could hold us for mandatory overtime during heavy call volumes up to 30 minutes past our time to get off.

ConsInitial training left a lot to be desired. Once out of training, we were put on the floor to take calls all day, even though we were all rather ill-prepared. After the first 90 days, it seemed that the only time anybody would talk to me about my work was if I had made a mistake. When I was complimented by customers and they asked to speak to a supervisor to commend me or they completed an after-call survey and rated my service as 'excellent' they would give me a helium balloon, a cut out paper star, and a bite sized piece of candy. I am 57 years old, I felt insulted. About the time there was supposed to be a new bonus or incentive plan to monetarily reward excellent work performance, I had to take time off work for medical reasons to make the transition to dentures. Unfortunately, there were complications and infections from the multiple tooth extractions, and when I was unable to return to work after 6 weeks, West terminated my employment. I had not been there a full year yet and was not covered by the FMLA for up to 12 weeks. The entire time I was away, nobody from the American Express group contacted me to find out how I was, and when I told Human Resources I needed more time off due to the complications and gave them letters from the oral surgeon and dentist, they still terminated my employment and told me I would have to go through the hiring process all over again. While West told me that my work had been more than satisfactory with many commendations, of course my status was affirmative to be rehired, I felt as if West didn't care about ME, and what I had gone through - which was the complete antithesis of their philosophy of supposedly CARING about their clients and their customers. I felt under-compensated and under-appreciated. They terminated my employment, but never gave me an exit interview so I did not have the opportunity to tell them how I would not be coming back anyway because they made me feel as if they didn't care whether I came back or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the training, spend more training time in developing the people who stand out and do the best work, compensate them more fairly, offer better insurance and benefits, reward outstanding performance with positive customer survey feedback by giving real bonuses instead of balloons, paper stars, and tiny wrapped candies.

The worst place I've ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mobile, AL

I worked at West Corporation full-time

Pros: Solid, wealthy company with a lot going for it financially. Cons: Disrespectful management with little concern for employee morale. Not much teamwork… Advice to Senior Management: Make employee morale a priority. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Pretty Thankless job

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

I have been working at West Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Always hiring, plenty of parking. Cons: Big company that needs to get out of their own way. Client Services runs amok and has no accountability. Crazy deadlines, old… Advice to Senior Management: Managers need to be competent and effective. Employees need… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on West Corporation.

Worked for West Corporation? Contribute to the Community!