Gave 55 year old a job

Current Employee - CAE in Pensacola, FL
Current Employee - CAE in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at West Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay on time. No problems if you do your job as requested.

Cons

Lack of real time training. Need to do less play training while in class and teach job skills for real time. Role playing is a waste of time.

Advice to Management

Have more answer my question time with employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great people who are undervalued by leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about working here is my coworkers. They are a group of people unlike any I have ever worked with. Supportive, nurturing and helpful. The second best thing is some flexibility with schedules.

Cons

1. No annual raises. In the years I have worked there, I have experienced one raise. Not because I had low reviews but because they said the company did not make enough money to give the workers a raise. When there is a raise, it tops out at 5%. Leadership will almost never increase someone's pay 5% in an annual raise because each manager has to budget their allotment and can only average a 3% raise across their team. So to give someone a 5%, someone has to get a zero. This year they sent a company wide memo announcing a raise for everyone. A few months later, and just before the raise would have been applied, they announced that there was not enough money and the raise was suspended.
    2. While they have a lot more benefits than other companies, they should be able to leverage lower cost benefits for a company of this size. Family medical coverage costs more than 25% of my annual pay. Also the cost of benefits increases more than 5% every year. In other words, every year I work there, my income decreases.
    3. Review process is awful. The scale is based on a 1 to 5, one being lowest and 5 highest. If you have been their less than a year, or if you have been in a new position less than a year, the highest rate you can score is a 3. The reasoning is that you will have no where to reach if you get a 5 out of the gate. This antiquated process backfires because it promotes mediocrity at best. Why do an exemplary job when the guy next to you who slacks will get the same score.
    4. There are no company funds available for employee recognition. If you are a manager, the executive leadership makes it mandatory that you develop your own recognition program and then mandates that you personally fund it.
    5. The majority of leadership at the director level and above is very poor. They rule by fear. They use the disciplinary action process to control employees rather than bridge gaps with them to promote morale. With no raises, high cost benefits and no employee recognition, there is nothing for them to offer an employee other than respect for the job they do. They demonstrate little to no respect for the average worker.
    6. There is little to no promotion from within. Job opportunities go to those who know someone or something about someone. There are very few people that get promoted based on qualifications. there are a few good ones out there, but only a few.

Advice to Management

I don't have any. They wouldn't listen anyway. I am giving a one, because I have to so the review will submit.

Okay, if you really need a job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The first 4 weeks of training is like elementary school, we even played "heads up 7-up". So you basically spend 7 hours a day doing what a normal 10 year old does at school and you get paid $11 an hour to do it.
    They hire pretty much anyone.

Cons

You work with some of the trashiest people.
    You won't feel like you have had enough training and you'll have customers yelling at you while you are trying to figure out what the heck you're doing.