West Corporation

There are newer employer reviews for West Corporation

Supervisors dwell on negativity

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at West Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

decent pay for the work

Cons

no benefits unless you're a supervisor or above

370 Other Employee Reviews for West Corporation (View Most Recent)

Great people who are undervalued by leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about working here is my coworkers. They are a group of people unlike any I have ever worked with. Supportive, nurturing and helpful. The second best thing is some flexibility with schedules.

Cons

1. No annual raises. In the years I have worked there, I have experienced one raise. Not because I had low reviews but because they said the company did not make enough money to give the workers a raise. When there is a raise, it tops out at 5%. Leadership will almost never increase someone's pay 5% in an annual raise because each manager has to budget their allotment and can only average a 3% raise across their team. So to give someone a 5%, someone has to get a zero. This year they sent a company wide memo announcing a raise for everyone. A few months later, and just before the raise would have been applied, they announced that there was not enough money and the raise was suspended.
    2. While they have a lot more benefits than other companies, they should be able to leverage lower cost benefits for a company of this size. Family medical coverage costs more than 25% of my annual pay. Also the cost of benefits increases more than 5% every year. In other words, every year I work there, my income decreases.
    3. Review process is awful. The scale is based on a 1 to 5, one being lowest and 5 highest. If you have been their less than a year, or if you have been in a new position less than a year, the highest rate you can score is a 3. The reasoning is that you will have no where to reach if you get a 5 out of the gate. This antiquated process backfires because it promotes mediocrity at best. Why do an exemplary job when the guy next to you who slacks will get the same score.
    4. There are no company funds available for employee recognition. If you are a manager, the executive leadership makes it mandatory that you develop your own recognition program and then mandates that you personally fund it.
    5. The majority of leadership at the director level and above is very poor. They rule by fear. They use the disciplinary action process to control employees rather than bridge gaps with them to promote morale. With no raises, high cost benefits and no employee recognition, there is nothing for them to offer an employee other than respect for the job they do. They demonstrate little to no respect for the average worker.
    6. There is little to no promotion from within. Job opportunities go to those who know someone or something about someone. There are very few people that get promoted based on qualifications. there are a few good ones out there, but only a few.

I don't have any. They wouldn't listen anyway. I am giving a one, because I have to so the review will submit.

Analyst

I have been working at West Corporation

Pros

Large company to get lost in

Cons

Top heavy management with little or no respect for most employees. Treat IT like an expense and nothing more. Moving more and more jobs over seas.

Start paying attention at who's leaving before it affects your customers.

There are newer employer reviews for West Corporation