There are newer employer reviews for West Corporation

Decent

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Reno, NV
Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun team dynamics. Flexible hours. Good management.

Cons

Training isn't extensive enough. Not much room for advancement or raises

353 Other Employee Reviews for West Corporation (View Most Recent)

Stable hours, higher than average pay, takes itself too seriously

I have been working at West Corporation full-time

Pros

Higher pay per hour than most call centers, incentives for performance on a monthly basis, stable full time hours available, benefits and paid time off.
    They will hire anyone who is qualified, even without a degree.

Cons

Little to no actual job relevant training- instead expect to play classroom games, watch powerpoint about the theory behind the company you will represent, roleplay, etc. First day is terrifying and you only get the hang of the job after about a week.
    Everything you say is scripted, script is often inflexible re: frequent client questions and issues
    Regular failure to consistently notify employees of changes BEFORE they are "coached" about mistakes based on said changes
    Company culture is manipulative, strict, and confusing
    Computer systems crash regularly- you must stay and pretend to do busy-work until they come back up
    Short breaks + small communal break areas and workspace- introverts, be aware you will not get any privacy for eight hours and thirty minutes.

There is a fine line between making sure people consistently improve themselves and goalpost moving. Make sure that as many people are on the same page when changes occur as possible, as soon as possible- all employees DO have employee email.

Also, seriously. You are a call center. At my location we are told to dress up even more 2-3 days before "clients" come in. If you are given that level of notification there is no reason for the incredibly strict dress code- I have worked at clear plastic desks as a front desk receptionist for two other major corporations who had more flexible dress codes. And every single client could see my feet.

The program I work on has a computer system that looks very impressive, but if you sit down and use your monitoring software to watch reps make calls for a day, you will come to the same conclusion that I have- the software could be easily customized in order to make rep calls two to three times as fast- there are simply too many "clicks" that must be made in order to perform any single task. Reps are constantly told that we need to make our calls faster. Give us better tools for the job, please!

Believe it or not, you give people plenty of incentive to achieve. And the job market is working in your favor- please realize most reps take pride in our jobs and want to do well and stop treating us like we will find any excuse to misbehave.

Great company with many advancement opportunities.

Former Employee - Performance Assessment Liaison in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Performance Assessment Liaison in Omaha, NE

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lateral and upward movement is constantly at your fingertips. You just need to grab it. I left this company because I moved to a city where the business is not located, but have since returned to Omaha. I've just finished my business degree, which I acquired for the soul purpose of returning to this company. I can't wait to see how far I can go!

Cons

Without a degree the pay isn't the greatest, but even with a degree most companies will start you off as low as they can. It's a dog eat dog world. You have to start at the bottom most of the time!

Keep up the great work.