There are newer employer reviews for West Corporation

Great company with many advancement opportunities.

Former Employee - Performance Assessment Liaison in Omaha, NE
Former Employee - Performance Assessment Liaison in Omaha, NE

I worked at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lateral and upward movement is constantly at your fingertips. You just need to grab it. I left this company because I moved to a city where the business is not located, but have since returned to Omaha. I've just finished my business degree, which I acquired for the soul purpose of returning to this company. I can't wait to see how far I can go!

Cons

Without a degree the pay isn't the greatest, but even with a degree most companies will start you off as low as they can. It's a dog eat dog world. You have to start at the bottom most of the time!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

reviews filtered by

managers are ill-equipped and novices

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

co workers are great people want opportunities to grow and be treated well. work hours and shifts vary giving choices to employees.

Cons

managers are ill-equipped and novices in management. They try and incentives using juvenile and grade school incentives and rewards. I think people want to be treated like adults. they want to earn more money and financial incentives.

Advice to Management

give employees more freedom, don't manage by fear

With a 140% attrition rate - you think they would make changes to stem the exodus

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Spokane, WA

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Need a job? They'll probably hire you, no matter your experience
    - Management really does work to keep enthusiasm up and to make the experience as pleasant as possible
    - Can pick up overtime to help offset the low pay

Cons

- The rate of pay is ridiculous for the amount of experience you need to gain to do your job well. The research materials are obtuse, contradictory and often incomplete. It isn't until you gain personal experience with each device/system that you become worth anything to a customer.

- Breaks are limited to 10 minutes each and a half hour lunch break - woefully inadequate for a high stress job like this.

- Continuing training happens only after the fact. New plans and programs often roll out without notification because you do not train until the call floor is slow. I have often gotten necessary policy training 3-4 months after I should've received it.

- Bonuses/raises/ are based on metrics that may or may not have anything to do with your abilities, such as your ability to overcome a customers objects to the contract company as a whole. 99 times out of a 100, low scores often have no notes, giving you nothing to work on

- While they have a benefit program, they also make it as difficult to enroll as possible. No mention is made of the open enrollment, so hundreds of new employees miss it and they give you no paperwork to sign up, only a website that may or may not send you the employment packet in time.

- The people who are advanced are often people who have the least experience and least knowledge, which stifles training for everyone

- If you're going to quit, make sure you don't let the company know and leave on the day you would've quit anyway. Management are under orders to look for reasons to let you go, even if it's something that they wouldn't have cared about prior to your resignation notice. If you want extra scrutiny and to be treated differently, please do send in your notice

Advice to Management

If you only get to keep 3-6 employees out of 30 hired every three months, maybe it's time to seriously reconsider your company culture. This town only has so many people, you're going to run out eventually.