West Corporation

www.west.com
  www.west.com
There are newer employer reviews for West Corporation

Great place while looking for other things, but it's easy to get stuck.

Current Employee - Production Team Leader in Spokane, WA
Current Employee - Production Team Leader in Spokane, WA

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits as you move up the chain. Some ability for growth.

Cons

Pay is not competitive. After nearly seven years, I still make less than 30k, which is not enough to support a family without government assistance. The first two tiers of management are not for single income families.

Treat employees as individuals instead of one of the herd.

380 Other Employee Reviews for West Corporation (View Most Recent)

Abandon all hope ye who enter here

Former Employee - Employee in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Employee in Wausau, WI

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at West has few benefits. However, in the duration of my employment I did increase social and professional skills, understand the nature of responsibility in the real world, as well as obtaining a powerful new perspective on the nature of work and my future.

Cons

I would strongly advise prospective employees to steer away from West at almost all costs. The 'cons' are almost too innumerable.Favoritism is rampant and many of the employees are uneducated and childish. The work is mind numbing and repetitive, nothing to do with sales in the least. Mainly glorified documentation and order entry work.
    The pay is very low and there are no raises. But don't worry! After four years you'll get a twenty five cent raise! Also, management works diligently to deprive employees of bonus payouts. They issue their edicts and grand proclamations from their ivory towers as the peasants drop one by one below. Management talks down to employees and I overheard one say to another supervisor in reference to the reps- "they're not smart enough to understand it" (referring to computer system). No joke. They give up out candy and little laminated sheets that say GREAT JOB etc on them like you would find in a KINDERGARTEN class.

The moronic 'useful idiots' who like to suck up and dramatize everything get promoted while the professional ones who always work and try to stay on task are scrutinized for the most trivial, banal little mistakes and mishaps. Management likes to create synthetic problems and once they have it in for you, you WILL be gone soon. West gets paid to hire and fire. When you're in the useless training West is making major moola off you billing the client but you will NEVER see a penny of that. Don't forget- West is a Fortune 500 company, they rake in billions per year! Going to H.R. or E.R. is like going to Hitler to complain about the holocaust.

The micromanagement is absolutely abhorrent and every single second of your time is monitored and scrutinized. If that wasn't bad enough management is EXTREMELY unprofessional and vindictive. Of all my managers only one was decent. I won't even go into that... They are clock nazis to the core. You are allotted two ten minute breaks and 30 minute lunch for an eight hour shift of back-to-back, non-stop, scripted calls! Be one minute late more than twice a month and you're toast! The attendance policy is extremely draconian considering the nature of this organization. The tales of unprofessionalism is too much to fit here to be completely honest. West's attendance policy is designed to make it easy to fire people. Firing people is what West is all about. Turnover is monumentally high. Everyone is coughing and sick, the facilities are disgusting. Debris on the floor will go weeks without being vacuumed. Bathrooms are in disrepair and not cleaned enough.

The organization seems constitutionally incapable of keeping everything on the same page and issuing consistent information. I understand directives are simultaneously coming from West and the client but it is so bad one has to believe it is intentional. The bonus became increasingly difficult to obtain and the Orwellian control mechanisms became more fine-tuned and invasive. For the physical, mental, and spiritual assault West brings to ones soul, the pay and 'benefits' are truly a slap across the face. If there ever was an awful place to work, this is that place.

Steer WAY clear of West. Don't even go near! I feel like I need to shower just thinking about it.

Lighten up and let employees breathe! Loosen the leash, er, headset a bit for Gods sake. If driving people out is your intention you do a PHENOMENAL job. Basically, get out and learn how to be a management team. This organization needs to be gutted from the top down. The company culture is painfully outdated and it seems the company exists as a ripe neck for management to sink their fangs into and feed off the drudgery and slavish monotony of the serfs below. Give a raise, a wage bump, stop trying to steal the bonus from employees Do something! Quick!

Telecomm Agent

I have been working at West Corporation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Set your own hours, Great coaches

Cons

Sometimes hours are limited Peak Season is booming

There are newer employer reviews for West Corporation