West Monroe Partners

Growth is Killing the Culture

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at West Monroe Partners

Pros

Great line personnel and some good new people in management
Pay and benefits were OK

Cons

Although there is talk of long term thinking the leaders can’t seem to look past the current quarter. Some of the new Directors that were hired are not great leaders and have disappointed many in the organization. There is an inner circle that is treated well while most everyone else is kept in the dark on many decisions. We were told at a recent meeting that there were no layoffs when in reality there were many. The company has outdated internal processes for staffing and skill development. Not a very fun place to work.

Cash out with the ESOP and find someone who can run a medium sized consulting firm.

58 Other Employee Reviews for West Monroe Partners (View Most Recent)

Great place to work for certain types of people. Average place for others.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at West Monroe Partners

Pros

West Monroe has some of the brightest and more experienced people in the industry. There are a lot of great reasons to work there, and I think certain personality types will fit in well and go far here. It is a very "work hard, play hard" place - you will put in long hours but there are several social events, clubs, etc. It is a very collegiate atmosphere, while feeling very corporate at the same time. The benefits are fine and the PTO is pretty generous, especially for those just starting out. They also are good about letting you take pretty much whatever time off you want, provided your client engagements have no issues. The profit sharing can be a good incentive, provided the payout for the year is high enough. In general management is accessible and eager to mentor, if you are the type to seek it out. Young, friendly environment. The people I saw do well there are type A personalities, go-getters that don't mind putting in long hours and don't mind some inflexibility. If you are really "bought in" to what West Monroe is all about, you will like working here.

Cons

I felt that West Monroe was pretty inflexible for a consulting firm. I understand their model means that consultants should be investing in internal projects, but everyone is either in the office or at their client every day, for long days. It can feel as though you are getting odd looks if you get up and leave your desk at 5:04 pm. There is little flexibility in working from home or working on a flexible schedule. Some managers can be micro-managers, while others are very hands off. It is not always consistent. If you are a person that values more of your free time, you will not be regarded as highly as those who participate in every social event. There is a very "old school" vibe, where management expects you to put in your time before being considered for a promotion or any special arrangements. There is also a very obvious "pecking order" with an inner circle of leadership, their cronies, and people who want to be just like them. I saw many people come and go where it seemed like they were pushed out or expectations were not properly set from the beginning. It seems like it would be hard for a new employee to "break in" to the circle that is really controlling the strategy and vision of the company, regardless of their level or years of experience - though I know this is not how West Monroe intends to be.

West Monroe is indeed a very unique company; but just remember one size does not fit all. It takes all kinds of people, perspectives, and personalities to make a robust and thriving company. Sometimes it can seem as if certain leaders completely run their teams or company unchecked and unchallenged, because everyone is "drinking the kool-aid". There is nothing wrong with challenging status quo or trying new things. Also, there needs to be more of an effort to encourage work/life balance. For almost my entire tenure there, this issue kept coming up and we kept being told "we're working on it". What really is being done?? At the time I left utilization for some consultants was ridiculous...with really no end in sight. Some people live to work, but others work to live. Efforts need to be made to assist these people in keeping a satisfying personal life (let them work Fridays from their home, for example). Please look closely at this as you have a very young company and as that generation continues to grow, they will expect and be seeking more flexibility, options for work/life balance, and ways to maximize personal time. Other companies are way ahead of West Monroe in this aspect. Keep pushing for professional development. That is one aspect of West Monroe I found truly valuable and special. You will continue to have the Best and Brightest if you allow everyone to pursue their passion and assist them in getting training. Keep management accessible and warm. I often felt that they cared about me as a person, and gave thoughtful advice and mentorship. Don't let this change as you grow.

WMP is a great place to work with some of the most talented people in our industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at West Monroe Partners

Pros

People
    Leadership
    Professional Growth Opportunities
    Access to Resources

Cons

Crowded office
    Some travel depending on client

Continue to grow while keeping the attitude of being a dynamic, smaller firm.

There are newer employer reviews for West Monroe Partners