Experienced Consultant

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time

Pros

Interesting work, smart people, good work-life balance

Cons

lower pay than industry average

Other Employee Reviews for West Monroe Partners

A people first organization, focused on helping clients and employees grow and succeed.

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having worked in three other consulting firms (large and small) and speaking with colleagues at other firms, I can attest that no consulting firm does a better job of providing growth opportunities to employees and being focused on their development. The training and development programs match those of the largest consulting firms and the on-the-job coaching and mentoring is exceptional. People genuinely care about people -- both professionally and personally. There are people here who are some of my closest friends and I know will support me through anything I may encounter. Through their actions, it is clear the executive team is committed to the company values and growing the company. They follow a long-term vision, with annual updates to the strategy to continue to raise the bar in terms of breadth and depth of our capabilities. The continued, measured evolution of the company strategy is making a material impact on the company results -- allowing the firm to both go "up-market" into larger clients while also supporting mid-market companies in their transformational changes. These projects give consultants, even our college new hires, an opportunity to make a material, positive impact at their clients and grow faster professionally than any of their peers at larger firms. Many of our Directors are home-grown and the three year goal of the firm is that in the future, most (if not all) of new Directors are internal promotions. Since day one, the company has had a value of 100% employee ownership -- and the recent conversion to an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) has made the legal structure consistent with that value. The ESOP conversion helped the company deal with succession issues for two of our founders -- and all future generations of employees. Because our founders were committed to the business remaining independent, they left substantial money on the table for themselves in order to make the ESOP conversion happen in a way that benefits all of our employees who choose to make WMP a significant part of their career. With a way to systematically give equity in the business to all of our employees and have a currency for future acquisitions, the company is now in a great place to grow and incent everyone to stay. The ESOP is a "get rich slow" tax-deferred compensation program. You will not get wealthy working here only for a couple of years, but if you stay, the ESOP can become a nice piece of wealth capital on top of market compensation, bonuses, and 401(k) matches. Only 18% of US adults own stock in the company they work for -- and all WMP employees are in that category. With no outside funding, in 11 years WMP has grown from four founders to 400+ employees -- and I believe we will outpace that growth in the next 11 years.

Cons

I hate the phrase work-life balance, but whatever balance means to you, it can be difficult to achieve at WMP. The expectations for performance here are high. You will travel and this isn't an 9-5 job. The more people invest in their work, the more they are rewarded with opportunity and compensation. While personal commitments are honored, because people work so hard here, sometimes you feel like a "slacker" for not keeping up at work due to needs at home. In reading some of these reviews, apparently we have a few unhappy people working here who apparently aren't doing anything about it by talking to leadership, suggesting changes, doing what they can to improve the culture, etc.. I can't understand why we have people here apparently so miserable, and yet unmotivated to leave.

Advice to Management

Be sure to be measured in the pace of acquisitions. M&A in the consulting business is difficult since what is being purchased walks out the door every night. Make sure we are picking the right companies to acquire -- ones that share the WMP culture and values. Also insure we aren't biting off more than we can handle at any one time as integration of these companies will be critical to our success.

Average Consulting Firm. Less than average Upper Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at West Monroe Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority of the consultants (besides Leadership) are great! A work hard - play hard culture. Great career growth for recent graduates.

Cons

It is a very cliquey culture - which leadership leads by example. If you are in with them, than it's awesome. But others that aren't don't last long or they are miserable. Very bad work-life balance across the Consultants as well as their Shared Services department. Not a diverse firm in terms of talent. It is definitely a boys club - you don't find many women in management roles or on the leadership team/board.

Advice to Management

Learn how to let go of your egos. Be more inclusive and diverse.