If you are looking for a great place to build a career then WestJet is certainly an organization to consider...

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at WestJet

Pros

The culture is quite strong at WestJet. There is a very motivated and empowered workforce and they are generally committed to seeing the company be successful. The employees at WestJet are some of the best I have ever worked with - very passionate about providing a great service offering to our customers (guests) and always willing to help out in whatever way they can. There is consistency messaging about our strategic direction and most employees know how they play a role in achieving that strategy.

Cons

Accountability only seems to go so far at WestJet. It is true that employees are held accountable for ensuring they work hard and deliver on an amazing guest experience, however it seems that accountability differs depending on what group you work for and how high up you sit in the org structure. No organization is without its own unique set of politics and WestJet is no exception. The politics certainly aren't as rampant here as they are with most organizations however.

Ensure accountability is even across the organization. Allow your skilled employees to deliver on what they were hired for. Continue to appreciate the hard work given by the vast majority of the people working for the airline.

Other Reviews for WestJet

It's not what it seems

Current Employee - Super Sales Agent  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Super Sales Agent in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at WestJet

Pros

the flight benefits are good, my fellow co workers are goodand they have a nice new campus to visit

Cons

no communication, call centre management awful and they are bullies, poor communication skills and people hide behind "our culture" ALL THE TIME!!

I've worked here for a year and if it wasn't for the flight benefits I would have been long gone. They have said in the past that they have never done layoffs. No they don't, they build files on you and for any reason ( and I mean MINOR) they will terminate your employment. They do this so they don't look bad, and there is really no where an employee can go. There PACT (non unionized organization) is NOT biased. As kind as they are they still need there jobs too so no one will really go to bat for you. There are no second chances at Westjet. If you make mistakes your gone. They are business and they want to make money, they need to cut cost so they need to cut employees. Your co worker is there one minute on the phones with you and the next they are being escorted out the doors. This is the Westjet no one sees. Don't be fooled by "our culture". It's call centre management bullies and intimidates. They are really just another big organization.

The good old culture is losing to bad new politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WestJet

Pros

Great culture (generally), and great co-workers.

Cons

The politics and school-yard behavior are unbelievable. Don't think that your experience here will be unlike any other job. It is full of all the politics you find at any other business - and can be much worse because people shield it behind the culture. Also, you will run into lots of people who like to throw up roadblocks for their own political purposes. Similarly, they will throw you to the lions if it helps their own cause.

Look carefully at your Senior Management Peers, and your VP team and really look at who is and who isn't pulling their weight. Also, look at who is genuinely doing a good job, and who is simply a good politician. Performers ... Watch out for the politicians.

There are newer employer reviews for WestJet.

Worked for WestJet? Contribute to the Community!