There are newer employer reviews for WestJet

Awesome place to Work with energetic people

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - QA Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at WestJet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work culture is the best among all the other companies

Cons

Cant think of anything so far

Keep evolving your strategies to progress like always

55 Other Employee Reviews for WestJet (View Most Recent)

Not all happy flying

Former Employee - Business Advisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Advisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WestJet full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some great people to work with

Cons

It is no longer the little airline that could, the new WestJet is now a legacy airline like Air Canada. They charge more, they reduced leg room and they nickel and dime you.
    Working for the company you use to sell a better product and had a great culture. Over the last 7 years however the original senior management has slowly been replaced. Then came upper middle management and it has lost that culture that made it fun to work for. Now it is a regular company and when it compares to others in this category it doesn't stack up.
    The benefits are decent... that is all. Pay is terrible for the education you need for the role. Stock options are okay but you have to pay a over priced trading fee to remove your stock and you cant sell it at the price you want... they sell in bulk, you get the average price.
    Management and HR are terrible for the most part. Most got their by knowing people and they will promote people they know. A lot of external hires coming from companies like Shaw rather than internal promotions. People are being promoted on merit, ability, experience or education anymore. The company use to always say it would hire for attitude and train for skill. Now they hide behind that as they hire their friends that don't have the skill. However they are missing the attitude part.
    Then there are the flight benefits. Now that WestJet has teamed up with many different airlines it is really tough to get a flight with them. Way harder than before. Most employees that I know prefer to fly other "partner" airlines as they get treated better than they do as "standby" WestJet "guests." This does allow you to fly more places but with less certainty of getting there or getting back. The key here is to remember, you don't get paid enough to buy confirmed.
    6 years ago WestJet was an amazing company to work for. Today I wouldn't work for them if they paid me more than the oilfields. 5 years from now people won't remember why they were one day more reputable than Air Canada.

Go back to the original CEO's fundamentals. That is what created the award winning culture. It is going to have to start with an HR overhaul and not outsourcing potential employee checks through India using BackCheck. This doesn't allow you to hire for attitude which is what the company was based on.

Very disapointing in retrospect

I worked at WestJet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ok flight benefits
    A lot of good people

Cons

Have to agree with some other reviewers, is like high school, only the "cool" kids advance. Getting ahead is totally dependant on what your relationship with your managers is like, not on your job performance or skills. I saw great people passed up for positions all the time, and too many managers micro-manage.
    If you keep your head down and do your job without expecting much you'll do fine, or if you can play the ass kissing politics.
    there is a lot of poor planning (prime example the chaos of swiching from open sky's to sabre), and front line employees bear the weight of dealing with clean up. Then the company will make a token gesture like a travel credit, and your managers will throw in a pancake breakfast which is supposed to make things better. Hello, total band aid approach.
    In my several years with the company I saw a great deal of childish and unprofessional behavior, have been lied to and ignored, and my final two weeks with the company were a total slap in the face. Even now quite a bit later I am still seeing and beigh subject to rude and unprofessional behavior.

There are newer employer reviews for WestJet