There are newer employer reviews for Westat

It has been very-very good for me! I would be missing this job and people...

Current Employee - Contractor, Part-time in New York, NY
Current Employee - Contractor, Part-time in New York, NY

I have been working at Westat

Pros

As a part-time Contractor, I have absolutely flexible schedule. I may work at any time: late nights, overnights, weekends, holidays - whenever 24/7. Any days off for personal reason - no questions asked. Vacation is unlimited, could be taken any time with 3 weeks acknowledgement.

Cons

As a part-time Contractor, I have no Health Insurance. Vacation is unpaid. Training is good, but not always enough for new employees at the beginning.

Advice to Management

The company conducts a lot of different projects in diverse industries. Therefor, it is difficult to advice anything to Management.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Dignifying

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Great Health Insurance
    private office space/Cubicle
    Work with academic peers and not just people with little academic background who have experience.
    Management was very respectful
    Work although generally boring, could be challenging when deadlines came around
    wonderful coworkers
    nice campus
    You could look for projects within westat that you would like to work in
    End of year Party was great.
    Birthday celebrations were great.
    Casual Atmosphere
    And to mention it again, Dignifying

Cons

The Pay compared to other places of comparable work and workload was horrid. It was the job I made the least salary in, but the Benefits package was highly generous.

It was painful to see that they consistently hired people from outside, when there were very few people not working a Westat office job (if any) with a degree less than A Bachelors degree. Yet they hired people of equal or even less competence from outside.

Pay increase was very low.

Advice to Management

Increase Pay. A lot of the employees are talented, and most of the time want to stay, but the pay is a real turn-off and people end up leaving. most people I worked with, loved working there, but for the pay.

Interesting studies - horrible pay

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Westat

Pros

The kinds of studies that Westat wins are out of this world! There are so many different types of studies that it's fairly easy to find something interesting to do-if you know the right people.

Cons

The process for getting on projects is too informal. For the most part, I was spending a lot of time searching for my own projects and this is unnerving especially when you are getting paid peanuts and are worried how you'll buy gas and food.

Advice to Management

The advancement process is not effective and kills morale and is discouraging. It's presented as if it's a secret and it's up to the employee to figure it out. This is not possible if you have a family.