Westat

www.westat.com

Good place to work if you don't mind lower pay

Research Analyst (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

Pros-The work can be challenging and fun. Opportunity for developing skills if you take initiative and are a leader.
-Everyone has a private, decent-sized office. There's a really cheap cafeteria and a gym. Nice, clean facilities. In-house graphics and printing department.
-Casual atmosphere - attire ranges from jeans to suits everyday. You can pretty much dress according to your mood.
-Benefits are decent. Generous leave time for sick leave/vacation, but no maternity leave.
-Flexible schedule for some projects, along with working remotely from home.
-I've never been micro-managed, and management is very receptive/appreciative of new ideas.
-Senior staff members on my project have been excellent mentors, and they are kind and encouraging. Good at providing positive feedback. I have a lot of respect for them.

Cons-Salary is below industry standard, and can be extremely discouraging. I'm not compensated fairly for the additional responsibilities that I've taken on over the years.
-Some staff abuse the casual atmosphere and contribute little to project goals. It's particularly annoying when you know they're paid more to do less. When you complain and expect management to intervene, nothing changes.
-When new staff are hired they are often ignored and not given assignments/training for extended periods of time. This was my experience years ago and other new hires have shared this opinion.
-Some managers are disorganized and do not establish feasible due dates or guidelines for projects. Not the best at communicating effectively, either. Limited communication regarding project assignments and roles, and it is unclear how much the company supports internal staff career advancement.
-Westat puts their employees' safety at risk by staying open during hurricanes and blizzards.
-The free coffee tastes like potting soil.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace technology. Communicate more with your staff and set expectations. Promote people from within instead of hiring outside of the company. Fire incompetent staff members, and give their pay to the employees who have been picking up the slack.

Very little loyalty to long time employees, poster child for what can you do for me today leadership

Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Depending upon the project needs, somewhat flexible in schedule requirements.… Cons: Extremely clique orientated, work groups often staffed by "who you know" versus who is qualified. Absolutely no loyality to long time salaried employees. … Advice to Senior Management: Wake up and become what Westat used to be, an employee owned business with the best interests of the employees constantly… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Stable company but communication and management could be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat full-time

Pros: Staff are experts in their fields and the work environment is generally supportive (not overly hierarchical). The benefits are good, especially for retirement, and… Cons: There can be limited communication regarding project assignment and roles, and it is unclear how much the company supports internal staff career advancement. Some… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Westat.

Worked for Westat? Contribute to the Community!