There are newer employer reviews for Westat

Everything but the work itself is great

Former Employee - Field Interviewer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Field Interviewer in New York, NY

I worked at Westat part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Paid training in a different city and the entire trip is paid for - Coworkers are fantastic; you meet some great people - High level of autonomy

Cons

- It's clear that certain people, like supervisors, were hired due to their location and not necessarily their experience or personality - As an FI, you're at the bottom of the totem pole, last to know anything - Lines and lines of red tape and politics - High level of autonomy, but very strict parameters to work between

Advice to Management

This is for the people at headquarters: Instead of coming up with impossible, really up-in-the-air performance goals, come up with more realistic ones because the FIs and FSupervisors are left extremely frustrated, hurried, and more often that not, doing work incompletely due to the higher-up's pushing. Yes, it costs time and money, and spends valuable resources, but FIs can't perform at their absolute best when everyday we have to hear about how behind everybody is.

Other Employee Reviews for Westat

Telephone research at Westat

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you don't have a criminal record and can speak English this job is relatively easy to get if you need to make some money. No intense interview process. An opportunity to work from home if your home setup qualifies and you are out of state.

Cons

This is review for the telephone research center where you actually work in the building (TRC). The job in and of itself is tedious and monotonous, you make dozens of phone calls, get dozens answering machines, hang ups, and ill tempered respondents. On top of this there is a on site manager, a shift team supervisor, another online supervisor and a "mentor" which is actually just another overseer waiting to ponce on any mistake you make. Since I worked at night my "mentor" had a bad habit of wanting to call me during the daytime, when I had to be at another job, for issues and updates that could have easily been handled by e-mail. With the weekly monitoring of phone calls, which I understand is necessary, the overall effect is like being in a cage with people watching you, ready to poke you with sticks at the slightest error. It is probably better if you can work from home.

Advice to Management

Too many chiefs for an $8- $10/hr job. I once had 4 different people admonish me for 1 infraction over a two day period.

Westat Please Do NOT Apply

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Westat part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work at home, part time work available

Cons

They say that you have to work a minimum of 15 hours but these hours are not guaranteed. After training I would try to go into the scheduler to register for hours and they were mostly blocked out in all red. If they are blocked out you can not schedule. Your 15 hours are not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people they can work a certain number of hours but don't even have those hours available.