There are newer employer reviews for Westat

Westat - Not an Industry Leader in its Behavior toward Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat

Pros

Healthcare benefits for a single person are cheap compared to what I've paid at other companies. My peers were great people to work with. The new gym is very nice.

Cons

Like many of its competitors, one of Westat's major weaknesses is managing people. I'd never seen this level of mismanagement before. Managers did not provide information employees needed to carry out their job duties. They did not provide feedback in a timely fashion. They were verbally abusive, and could not accept any feedback.

They certainly couldn't manage teams. Communication overall was very poor. Many times when an employee initiated contact with someone outside of their group, for the purpose of completing a work task, a manager would criticize the employee and tell her that it wasn't her job to talk to that person. There was a lot of waste of employee's time, company resources, and when confronted, managers claimed they knew nothing. Another thing, favoritism was king. Managers had their favorites, everyone knew it, and if you weren't on the list you suffered.

Watch out for review time! They will hit you with negative feedback that you knew nothing about. They tell many people at all levels that they are not performing up to expectations for their grade level. They also identify areas for improvement, that for most people were areas of strength at other jobs. The excuse - oh we do things differently here at Westat.

Do not be lulled into the promise that Westat will find you a job within Westat if your contract has ended. For the past half year they've been laying people off. They aren't winning as many contracts, and there are a lot of employees sitting around with nothing to do. They are continuing to lay people off.

Invest some resources in developing management staff. Do not tell people during interviews that Westat is not like other research companies because it doesn't lay people off after a contract ends. Give employees the information they need to do their jobs. Improve your review process.

153 Other Employee Reviews for Westat (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Westat

Pros

Good company and fair compensation. The performance review was good, although I don't feel it was really performance based, as I saw everyone gets the same raise.

Cons

Employee did not have much visibility as to where the company was going, and why and how. There were not much communications about company vision.

Provide more transpararencies on company vision to employees, so everyone share the sense of ownership. Give people opportunities to get involved in decisions.

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Westat

Pros

Laid back place to work that is a great place to learn.

Cons

Salary is lower than average.

The leadership at Westat isn't bad overall, they just need to come off the money.

There are newer employer reviews for Westat