Western Athletic Clubs

Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Western Athletic Clubs

courtside club

I worked at Western Athletic Clubs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

love it there. great opportunity to earn good money, meet lots of people, and develop customer service skills.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to motivate yourself to use the perks of the job (the gyms) because you feel like you're at work!

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

reviews filtered by
  1. "Lifeguard doesn't mean Clean-Up Crew"

Former Employee - Lifeguard
    Former Employee - Lifeguard

I worked at Western Athletic Clubs

Pros

I got to be in the sun, and became good friends with the "supervising" lifeguard and one of the ladies from the kitchen. Some of the staff is very kind and are good people trying to make it by like me, but often find similar problems trickling down from poor management decisions.

Cons

I was a beach guard first and went to Western Athletics because I needed extra money and was balancing the two jobs. To explain how dumb procedures were, first of all as a "lifeguard" if there is an emergency I was not allowed to dial 911 for emergency response. I had to go call the front desk, and if one of the teens on the clock decided to pick up then they would dial 911. Stupid and illogical...YEAH! Then the "director" never seemed to really care about what the guards really needed and often would leave early from his shift. Overall the head lifeguard was the one who kept things together, another veteran beach guard. The food was really expensive and we got a wopping 10% of which when you're buying a $5.50 bagel with cream cheese, you get to save 55 cents woohoo. So that was also disappointing. Also when you start working there they give you a membership to the gym, but when the season ends, from June to mid-September they consider you not hired anymore and cancel your membership. I think that's dumb, because we bake in the sun picking up peoples towels and dealing with their snobby attitudes and we can't even have access to the facility when the season is over and we actually have time to use it! That brings me to another major point, lifeguards going around the pool lounge chairs and having to pick up food, towels, swim equipment, etc instead of being able to focus on the water. It's a pain to think that you pay to be certified to be a pool guard because even after working 2.5 years at the beach I was required to take a "pool" lifeguard cert. and in the end I end up as cleaning crew for the pool. It got so bad one day that on my break, I swapped out of my reds and put on break trunks, goggles and went into the water with a hand pool vacuum because the pool was so filthy and patrons were starting to complain. Of course management saw, asked me if i worked there!, and when i told them i was a guard on break and that people had complained about how dirty the pool was simply said oh well they always have something to complain about. Idk but that didn't go so well for me.

Advice to Management

Thinking about the customer is one thing, but forgetting about your employee's is another. The membership for the club is so high that you could afford to pay more attention to the hard working employees some and most who worked harder than me. They deserve the extra attention, because happy employees will lead to even happier customers.

2. Profit Machine

I have been working at Western Athletic Clubs

Pros

club members are a great networking resource

Cons

They make it hard or impossible for you to get benefits, or health care. Ie: cut staff schedules so they can't get full- time hours, or not pay for admin time so you would qualify for full time. Very few get medical, holiday pay, 401 K (they don't do 401k matching)

Cut every corner to save money, at the expense of their staff, and members.

Changes to policies that are important either never get done, put off.

Set monthly forecast extremely high so employees can't hit commission bonuses that make up a large part of their monthly income.

Increased prices up to 45%

Employees who have been with the company for up 15 years and helped build the company have all been either fired, let go, or jumped ship.

Advice to Management

Follow your mission statement" enhancing people's lives" that the company was founded on long before KSL resorts bought the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Athletic Clubs