There are newer employer reviews for Western Digital

Challenging and Demanding, but Rewarding place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Western Digital

Pros

Challenging work Good bonuses and profit sharing Decent benefits for entry level Decent training Great experience Very interesting technology worked on

Cons

Mandatory shutdowns when vacation time is required Can sometime demand very long hours when working towards a deadline No big complaints, just little things

Advice to Management

Encourage the paid time off during the shutdowns, but do not make it required. Difficult for employees who have limited vacation time. Other then that, really no complaints. I like the challenging work and technological advancement. Exciting place to work, and employees normally rewarded for hard work. Especially appreciate recieveing bonus during hard times of Thai flooding, since we had to work harder then ever, but profit wasn't there. Shows they care.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

This place is a JOKE. Slave labor at min. wage

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Western Digital

Pros

Friendly people, cool building, nice location

Cons

DO NOT WORK AS A CONTRACTOR. This place is the WORST place for a temp job. First of all, I have 5+ years experience in the field - I contracted for this company for more than 2 years+ being promised for a full time position that NEVER HAPPENED. And so I worked here for a min wage of 30/hr (yes no joke) doing the duties of a senior engineer position. Worst yet, during hard times - they terminated my contract -- only to tell me that they will rehire me at $20/hour.... I think my 18 year old cousin gets paid that at his internship... and they offer me that for a SENIOR position?????? I am not joking, this is terrible. They are basically treating contractors like slave third world country labor. When I left and found a senior full time position elsewhere -- I realized what a terrible company this place was. I had many senior engineer level friends at WD getting paid ~75K and everyone thought that the benefits and pay was good... wrong. They need to get out and see that they are getting underpaid for their roles. My current senior full time position pays 1.5times more than what they make --- and the 2 other companies I had offers from were also 1.5times more. If you feel like being paid garbage and treated like garbage, work here.

Advice to Management

Coyne should stop buying exotic cars and actually care about his employees

2. People are friendly. Promotion is a bit slow

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Western Digital

Pros

The people are friendly and nice to work with.

Cons

Slow promotions and rigid requirement for years working

Advice to Management

Don't be so rigid in terms of years of experience as a requirement for promotion. If they are performing in the promoted position prior to the "required number of years", PROMOTE THEM!