Western Digital

OK

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Lake Forest, CA
Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Western Digital

Pros

Great tech, opportunity to learn, IF you can get into the right group

Cons

Slave-like hours can result, middle management is clueless when passing down "development procedures" to the engineering department. More concerned with their Excel spreadsheets, and stupid metric data rather than providing a positive working environment.

Quit treating people like tools

288 Other Employee Reviews for Western Digital (View Most Recent)

WD is a solid company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Western Digital

Pros

Stable industry and stable career growth path.

Cons

It has some common issues as other big companies...

A more transparent business process and more effective internal training or job rotation program can help motivated employees better.

If you're not working at WD today, what more are you looking for?

Current Employee - Director in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Western Digital

Pros

It is an extremely well-managed company from a fiscal perspective (a HUGE PLUS these days); is consistently growing market share; has made very smart investments in acquisitions; has been consistent in paying out bonuses consistent with business performance; has recently re-structured the bonus plans to pay-out more to all levels; has great products; has been around for more than 35 years and shows no signs of changing that in any way; has provided me with the challenges I want and the rewards for meeting them.

Cons

has had the reputation for paying salaries below the market; is very prudent when it comes to spending contributing to an image inconsistent with its success; doesn't have a lot of "flash" or "sexiness" as a company - always stays in the background.

Invest in creating a stronger image or "brand" for the culture and work environment. Force yourselves from time to time to take one eye off the business and pay attention to what your employees need. It's not that much and it pays off big time! Keep doing what you're doing to sustain our strong balance sheet and great market performance. Invest some of our profits into creating a physical environment that makes employees "brag" about working here.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Digital