Western Governors University

www.wgu.edu
  www.wgu.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University

A good place to work... but not 'Great'

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University

Pros

Opportunity to work from home
Allow to make your own hours within a reasonable time frame: get 40 hours between Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. whatever your local time is. Must work 1 night a week and 1 Saturday a month.
Student focused, main goal for everyone involved is to get the right people in the program; in all my years here I've NEVER felt pressured to enroll someone who I didn't think was ready.

Cons

Just 2 things that really need attention in Enrollment Department.
1. There are SOME individuals in middle management who really play favorites. Not all, but some. Unfortunately, if you cross these peoples warpaths, then you will come to regret it. Upper management doesn't realize what kind of an effect these individuals have on overall team, and so those people are never brought to justice for being bullies, and only giving promotions and highlights to those who are in their circles of friends.
2. Pay is pretty dismal. The answer that "it is equivalent to what other people in similar positions at other companies would make" is a terrible answer. you always tell the Enrollment team that they are the backbone to the university, but then you pay them significantly less than what they deserve to be earning with the Bachelors degree that is REQUIRED for the position

With a little deep cleaning, the bullies could (and should) be removed from their positions of tyranny. This would allow for freer growth in the department.

Don't hide behind excuses for pay. Just because it is similar to what other schools do, doesn't make it fair. President of WGU is one of the highest paid Presidents of Private colleges (72nd highest paid out of 448). Perhaps he could PERSONALLY take a pay cut to pay those who he claims does all the work.

122 Other Employee Reviews for Western Governors University (View Most Recent)

A truly great place to work

Current Employee - Course Mentor in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Course Mentor in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at Western Governors University

Pros

WGU course mentors (content area experts) work largely in teams, which means that there is a built in support network for employees. The level of exhaustion one may have felt at other universities can be more effectively manged here, because the team approach often means a simple request for help is all it takes! Management at the team level, in my experience, is very responsive to employee needs. While we do work more days and hours than our previous positions, it's also true that when we need some flexibility, all we need to do is communicate that need to our manager. Additionally, the real benefit to working at WGU is the ability to really interact with out students on an individual basis. I have more extended content-related conversations and individualized instructional sessions now, in an online environment, that ever was possible before at either the college or high school where I previously taught "in person." Finally, WGU seems to have a real commitment to professional development. I have been lucky enough to benefit from tuition reimbursement here and I also expect to receive funding for a conference at which I will present this spring. Overall, most complaints I might have are pretty minor. My perception is that those with many issues often have them because their priorities don't align with the universities. You see, if you work at a student-centered university, you have to be student-centered. If you're not, you may struggle.

Cons

Coures mentors do work structured schedules, so the extreme flexibility you might imagine by "working online" is not really there, as at other online universities (however, I think this accounts for our higher level of quality). And, as previously noted, managers seem very willing to accomodate our needs (I've never been turned down for a reasonable request).

All mentors do work more days and hours that traditional universities. While our pay is fair and our benefits are great, especially considering the lack of commuter expenses, it's not quite aligned with the extra days we work. I made the same amount working 180 days...and I made MUCH more by working summer school, too, which is similar (but still less than) my current schedule. That said, I also graded tons of papers in my off hours and drove an hour per day, so it's a give and take, I guess!

Umm...my biggest con is this: without a large campus to walk around, weight gain is inevitable! If you decide to come and work here, plan to incorporate some extra exercise into your day :)

Insensitive and arrogant senior leadership, incompetent middle management

Former Employee - Student Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Student Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University

Pros

Working from home
    Ability to make a difference and positive impact for students
    Mission focused

Cons

Little to no encouragement to maintain life/work balance
    Unfair promotion practices
    Lack of resources to perform job properly, for which employee is often blamed
    Reliance on numbers as sole determination of job performance
    Constant change and chaos as a result of 30-40% growth rate

You've lost a lot of really talented enthusiastic people in the last two years as a result of fear based management practices. When the economy improves, the employee attrition rate will double because while working from home is a wonderful perk, it doesn't out weight being treated poorly.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University