Student mentor

Former Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty
Former Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty

I worked at Western Governors University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home position, and that's about it

Cons

Many policies only learned about after a mistake was made. In trying to change jobs within I NEVER heard back from HR.

Make sure training includes very clear reviews of policies and procedures. Get HR to move a little faster and at least tell employees why they did not qualify for a job.

Other Reviews for Western Governors University

Enjoy the remote positions

Current Employee - Student Services  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Student Services in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working from home, full benefits, 70% tuition discount.

Cons

The pay is low and not a lot of options for moving up.

Listen to your employees concerns.

Flexible Hours with a price.

Current Employee - Mentor, Faculty  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Mentor, Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Work from home with flexible hours. Much autonomy to do the job the best way I see fit. Non-profit allows affordable education for all students. I feel called to educate. I love working with students! Full time jobs in education are hard to come by.

Cons

Flexible hours become long hours- usually at least 45-50 per week. Heavy workload/number of students. I am evaluated/ salary increases are based on student performance. Some students will not do the work or be successful. I can only do my personal best. It never seems to be good enough. I am worried about keeping my job for the long-haul because of this constant pressure to perform. I am a professional with a Master's degree plus further education. I do not need to be, nor should I be micromanaged.

12 month salaries are equal to 9-month salaries at other universities. Salaries should be increased accordingly. Metrics used to evaluate performance should be re-evaluated- they do not give a clear picture of employee performance. Middle management must learn to motivate by
    encouraging others, not belittling. Quality faculty have been lost because of this. Quality faculty are valuable employees- NOT easily replaced!

There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University.

Worked for Western Governors University? Contribute to the Community!