Western Governors University

www.wgu.edu
  www.wgu.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University

Vague and Ever-Shifting Expectations Undermine Generally Good Mid-Level Management.

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

A course mentor position with WGU allows one to work from home, offers good benefits, and pays a decent though unexceptional salary. Program managers are generally range from good to excellent.

Cons

Expectations are not clearly articulated. For new course mentors, standards used in performance reviews are not discussed until just before the performance review. This is frustrating for both managers and course mentors, as the former is not getting what he wants and the latter is evaluated based on standards that were never articulated. This is a managerial failure of the most basic order. Change is sometimes implemented for its own sake, and directly detracts from course mentors' ability to serve students, since so much time is spent learning new policy, procedures, and software.

Take a breath. Stop embracing change for its own sake, and don't turn technology into a sacred cow. Remember that the technology exists to facilitate student-faculty interaction, and that any technology or procedure that has the opposite effect should be eliminated.

122 Other Employee Reviews for Western Governors University (View Most Recent)

A step up from adjunct

Current Employee - Course Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home
    Colleagues are top notch
    All faculty are full-time with benefits
    Students are appreciative
    Offers a great value for students

Cons

Micromanagement
    Faculty are given little autonomy and are not treated like professionals
    40 hour per week schedule with mandatory evenings and weekends impacts family time
    Only two weeks vacation
    Minimal reimbursement for faculty pursuing PhD
    Computers issued to faculty are bottom of the barrel and insufficient for some required duties, for example, editing instructional videos

Recent shift to have mentors report to multiple managers is not a good model

Don't make a career out of it

Former Employee - Student Mentor
    Former Employee - Student Mentor

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The flexible schedule and use of technology like smart phones and chat apps makes this a job you can do from anywhere. Effort was rarely over 30 hours per week which still produced excellent metrics. Colleagues are amazing, the screening and hiring is impressive and I really enjoyed the people I worked (excluding upper management). Benefits are good. A good manager makes a big difference, like anywhere. IT support was good, reiterating good colleagues, which makes a lot of difference in satisfaction.

Cons

Top down, dictatorship organization. Employees have no voice. Call center, metric based job duties. Micromanagement at all levels to ensure you are making your calls, making your notes, following policies, etc. No opportunity to move forward, except middle management, which is just a dumped-on mouth piece for senior managers to delegate the tasks that have been dumped on them. Pay is awful. Most employees have master's level educations (minimum) and could make at least 50% more elsewhere with their skills. I finally got fed up and left for a 100% increase in pay. Raises are lacking too and are based on a ranking system which most leaderships texts note as outdated and unfair. Feedback goes nowhere and direct contact to upper management is frowned upon even though they pretend they have an open door policy.

In summary this isn't a bad place to work if you don't need to make much money and you are good at keeping your mouth shut and doing your job. You have to be able to turn your back and not get involved in the nonsense. The flexibility is unparalleled and that makes it hard to leave once you start.

Stop pretending that employees are empowered. Stop pretending this is a bottom up institution. Stop pretending employee feedback is considered when making strategic plans. The fact that management constantly enforces these fallacies is demeaning and pointless. Just acknowledge that this is a call center and management makes the rules, employees don't have a voice, and that is the way it is. Everyone would be happier. The former director of mentoring creating a fear based culture of "us vs them". I would advise the new director to attempt to change that culture. Good employees are starting to leave quickly. The job market is looking better and better and soon it may be hard to retain talent. When I left I didn't get a call from anyone but my direct manager saying goodbye. No exit interview, no quick call from anyone else that I've worked for over the last three years. Just prior to my leaving another mentor left and she had been there five years, which is long time when a business has only been around for about 10 (actually 15 but for at least 5 years not much happened). She was close to a few people in upper management and no one called her either. Not even an email to say goodbye. This just enforces what I've written about the culture, no one cares about you. Do you job, keep quiet, don't rock the boat. One last bit of advice would be to promote people who's opinions might differ from yours. Management screens very carefully to hire "yesmen", people that only promote their agenda. It's a classic horror story of group think.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University