There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University

Western Governors is a good place to get experience

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Western Governors is a good place to work if you are willing to work hard and keep busy.

Cons

the pay is not great, but the insurance is reasonable. It is difficult to move up to be anything out of enrollment.

107 Other Employee Reviews for Western Governors University (View Most Recent)

As a course mentor, I find WGU to be an unethical organization that treats employees like cogs in the big business wheel

Current Employee - Course Mentor
    Current Employee - Course Mentor

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

The hours are flexible. You get to set your own work schedule, for the most part. Colleagues are usually friendly and very helpful.

Cons

WGU does not treat its employees fairly. If you are a favorite, you will likely do well. However, if you are not, you may not find the work experience all that enjoyable. Upper management needs training but does not seem interested in professional and leadership development. They claim to want the distinction of being a great place to work but don't seem interested in actually being a great place to work.

Get some much-needed leadership and ethics training.

Slave wages, 50-60 hours of week no compensation

Current Employee - Mentor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Mentor in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Work from home, don't have to drive to work

Cons

Pay is nowhere near industry average, long hours, bad management, forced to lie to accreditation authority, we have overloaded inboxes constantly, expected to work 50-60 hours and handle 100+ students even though we are told our load is only 85. Students who go on term break have to be contacted as well so if you have 100 students and 10 on term break, you have to contact 110 students on a weekly/biweekly basis, attend pointless meetings, and go to conferences twice a year that would be just as effective if they were done online with downloadable powerpoints and documents.

Mentors work with students in colleges they have no degrees in, student mentors with english degrees mentoring IT students. We were told to tell the accreditation authority that the course mentors spend the majority of their time with the students, this is not true, we the student mentors spend the majority of the time with the students, some not even having a master's degree.

Rampant student cheating goes on here, when it is brought to the attention of the college most of the time it's a slap on the wrist.

Pay us what we are worth, the average salary for professors is tens of thousands a year above what WGU pays, I doubt the course mentors get that much, but those that work 60 hours a week like me are only making $14 an hour with no comp time and we are expected to work on vacation.

We are told we are supposed to be trying to be a best place to work, but the fact is WGU wants to do everything cheaply while giving the impression it's a great place to work and at the same time giving us no incentives.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University