There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University

Not too bad, could be better

Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, flexible schedules, see direct impact in some students' lives, organization has a fantastic mission statement

Cons

Not paid enough for hours I put in, micromanaging middle management, too much focus on KPI's instead of on the student, loss of focus on the mission statement, goals that lead to company bonuses becoming unreachable because of lack of feedback from upper management to lower ranks, complete and total lack of internal customer service - good luck in applying for a promotion and getting feedback from HR

Let us talk to you about goals and what we realistically see happening, quit making pronouncements from on high and expecting us to figure out how to implement them, make the bonuses untethered from KPI goals so we don't feel so unethical about pushing numbers over individual student situations, when we apply for an internal position - help us with that, develop all of us, not just those with the highest KPI's.

reviews filtered by

Unprofessional, horrible work experience

I worked at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Most people are nice there. Some people get to work from home eventually.

Cons

Horrible pay. Unprofessional behavior by everyone, including management (discussing personnel issues in front of other employees). Inadequate training.

This university has the worst customer service I've ever seen. Transferring students all over because no one can answer their questions. Allowing employees to do whatever they want creates a work environment that's a joke and no one takes their job seriously.

Watch your back

Former Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home is what keeps most employees working for WGU

Cons

Very numbers oriented. They are quick to put someone on probation if there numbers drop below a certain level. 1 out of every 3 people who have a tenure of 3 years or more is on probation. Prior to the 3 year mark it is easy to keep your numbers high. But as your good students graduate and your percentage of good students shrinks your numbers get worse even for the best student mentor. If you want a job for 2 to 3 years WGU is the place to go, but longer than that management will make your job more difficult and stressful.

Don't be so quick to discipline your employees. Especially if they have done a great job in the past, their numbers do not indicate that they have reduced their effort level, or skill level, or amount they care about their students.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University