Western Union

PLEASE BRING BACK CHRISTINA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Western Union

Pros

Global experience that allows you to gain it if you know how to manipulate the system. Helping people all over the world eat every day.

Cons

Management, management, management. Ever since Christina handed over the reigns and the new guy cleaned house with the executive team the company is not the same

Change today or you will loose tomorrow. When will you wake up and realize you are bleeding good people thAt leave on a daily basis because of you.

243 Other Employee Reviews for Western Union (View Most Recent)

Opportunities for advancement rare, Sr. management disconnected from workers, CEO clearly positioning co. for sale

Current Employee - Non-management IT in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Non-management IT in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Western Union

Pros

- Awesome benefit package - 401(k) with matching and immediate vesting, health, dental, vision, bonuses, tuition reimbursement, EAP, competitive PTO
    - Other perks like employee events, rewards program, gym, cafeteria
    - 98% of the people you work with on the daily are fantastic
    - Recognized name and brand, Fortune 500, global colleagues, travel opportunities (depending on role), flex time and work from home opportunities (depending on role and immediate supervisor)
    - On average, pay is competitive (see comment in cons below)

Cons

On paper, WU is an awesome company to work for, and when it comes to things I mentioned above that don't necessarily pertain to you on a daily basis, the company has things figured out and seemingly treats employees really well.

After reading the other reviews on this site, I agree with 90% of what is said. The fact is that your experience in your role on a daily basis is highly subject to which group you are in and who your immediate supervisor is. Some groups are very high profile and have a very cheerleader-ish culture and are constantly being recognized and applauded by all levels of management. Others are seen as back-office support functions that shouldn't even really be seen and certainly never heard.

Senior management is really guilty of recognizing, supporting, and investing in business units directly responsible for revenue generation and either marginalizing or outright cutting support for and investment in business units that are revenue protection, cost savings, and/or shared services to revenue generating units. While this makes the stock price tick up in the near term and is way more fun for our CEO to talk about how "innovative" we are, it can only last for so long before neglected yet critical business units crumble. There is a very clear message to "do more with less" beyond the point where diminishing returns kick in. There is no appetite for investing in and/or upgrading critical infrastructure (kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude).

There is an overwhelming tendency (some exceptions of course) to hire from outside of the company even when clearly qualified internal candidates exist. External candidates get outrageously generous salaries while those of us who have been here and put in the work are told that there simply isn't any room in the budget for annual raises higher than 2%. Attitude of "you're already doing what you're doing for what we're paying you - why on earth would we pay you more?"

Management is obsessed with outsourcing and acquisitions. Soft costs like integration efforts, support, language barriers, time zone issues, compliance requirements, technology differences, etc. are outright ignored so that these decisions look good on paper while those of us in the trenches are left to pick up the pieces.

There is no respect or appreciation for the tribal knowledge and loyalty that exists at a company where still a large majority of employees have been around for over 10 years (there is a not unsubstantial number of people who have been here for over 30 years).

A lot of business units are way over-worked. Vast swaths of employees are rapidly approaching burnout (if they're not already there), and management thus far has not expressed sympathy or concern for what the consequences of this will be. Employee morale has been in the toilet for the past 2.5-3 years because of constant layoffs, poor planning and execution that results in constantly changing priorities, flavor of the month type strategies, and clear message that the stock price and external company image are all that matter. It's painfully obvious current CEO's goal is to position company for a sale/buyout in the next couple of years (if they keep him around long enough to execute).

New CEO has some good ideas, but execution hasn't been thought all the way through. There is also a big disconnect between senior and middle management. Good ideas and concerns from the bottom are ignored, while senior management appears to just be a team of "pie in the sky, don't bother me with details or logistics" thinkers.

Bottom line - WU could be a truly amazing company if they could fix a lot of these cultural issues that plague the company. It has been an overall decent experience for me thus far, mostly because of who my direct supervisor and team members are. The writing's on the wall though and I won't be sticking around for the long term.

Please, please, re-evalaute the "growth without investment" and "get comfortable being uncomfortable" strategy you have adopted.

Good, could be great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Western Union

Pros

Great benefits (401k no vesting period, tuition reimbursement, good health package), nice facility (cafeteria, gym), competitive pay.
     New leadership is enthusiastic and seems to care about employees. They started bonuses for US employee, ramped up company events, and increased employee training & development seminars.

Cons

Isolated culture doesnt support knowledge sharing and communication between groups & hinders professional development. I almost feel as if I have less experience than when I came here. New exec mgmt seems to be trying to change this, but old First Data lower mgmt are resisting.
    Terrible systems mgmt: crashes, slow downs, functions break and are never fixed, one fix breaks two more. Long time managers and directors are very political and only concerned with making themselves look good with the least amountvof work. Some managers that I dont report to seem really good, but they are complicit.. Others have to hire from outside because anyone in the company doesnt want them. Current employees are either the favorites, are new, or are looking for another job ( @ WU or outside).

Open the culture to encourage knowledge sharing and communication. That will be key to your productivity initiatives.
    Get rid of old culure management that plays politics instead of managing employees. Be aware of managers who always blame employees and find excuses.
    Invest more in IT and systems management.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Union