There are newer employer reviews for Western Union

A good company but always having room for improvement

Current Employee - Manager in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
Current Employee - Manager in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at Western Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional company to work for. There are some good leaders specially in the Asia Regional Call Centre in Manila.

Cons

Centralized form of management - managers not really empowered as budget is centralized and approved from the top level.

Cut the politics happening on the executive positions

233 Other Employee Reviews for Western Union (View Most Recent)

Good company

Former Employee - Computer Opreater in Basti (India)
    Former Employee - Computer Opreater in Basti (India)

I worked at Western Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When i joned of this company than i was fresher but after some i get more experience to this company.....

Cons

I think every day is not working day....

Please touch to lower to upper grade employer and give money who r the best employer.....

Good, but always room - for better...

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

1. I believe a lot of the employees that have been around for longer are still suffering from PTSD as a result from the lay-offs, transitions and changes that occurred under the new CEO (generating some of the negative responses below). Generally I like the changes that have occurred. They fired 30, hired 20. By doing so, they brought in a lot of new higher quality people across many departments that have since helped enhance many of the processes and replaced many people that were not pulling their weight. A lot of the changes are still underway in many departments as the company is full of innovations and growth with products and services it provides; also being heavily regulated - some of the changes are forced by the government. As it goes - there are not very many open cubicles around and hopefully those will be filled with worthy employees.
    2. As others mentioned - the 160 year old name and fortune 500 status always a plus.
    3. Good benefit package.
    4. Possibility to work with people all around the world.
    5. Work hour flexibility - most departments have a "get it done" mentality, meaning - that if you do your job, no one is counting your hours.

Cons

1. This next point could either be a pro or a con, depending on what kind of employee you are --- it is virtually impossible to get fired from Western Union! As I mentioned above, they had to liquidate full departments to get rid of the people they really wanted to get rid of (a lot of employees who got laid off "as departments", got hired back on in other departments/positions because they were not the ones who they wanted to get rid of initially). Unfortunately the bare minimum is still prevalent among some employees, especially ones who have been around for a longer period of time at a specialist/analyst level. This is why one of the comments below surprised me - it seems like there is some kind of hidden sense of seniority rather than merit - "I've been here longer so I should get the job instead of someone who's done twice as much in half the time" -- WRONG mentality.

2. As one person noted, personal relationships CAN play a part in the workplace and career progression with some people who have "been around" and have made the right connection can be "promoted out" rather than terminated when they are not up to par with the set standards.

3. Possibility for a career advancement also very much depends on which department you end up in and who your manager is (whether the manager is concerned more with retaining the best talent on their team, or encouraging growth)

4. Pay is below average for the comparable pay grade levels in Denver or in the industry.

Reward accomplishments and don't allow mediocrity.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Union