There are newer employer reviews for Western Union

Good place to stay but no loyalty for employees. Stock price dictates everything

Former Employee - Regional Director in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Regional Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Western Union

Pros

Great benefits, International enviornment, Good place to learn. Great place to stay if you are part of the good ol boy network

Cons

No set hiring standards, promotions are set for close friends of hiring managers, unethnical practices. Stock price will decide every major decision on a daily basis like employee retention which leads to less loyalty among employees. Executive team is from non financial service background ( some one from radio shack) who has no understanding of the ground realities and basic consumer profiles.

Advice to Management

Get to know your consumers. Christina is great as a macro manager but other EVP's and SVP's need to improve communication and product/market knowledge.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Western Union and Incompetence--a Real Match.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Western Union

Pros

The benefits were good. Good health insurance. This used to be a great place to work, until First Data bought it. It was spun off from First Data, but of course, all management running the show were from First Data, a company so miserably run, that it was bought by a management investment firm. I cannot even come close to telling you how incompetent management was. I felt like I was back in kindergarten, with all the ridiculous "standards" they came up with. They couldnt get enough managers, some of whom, slept on the job, because they had nothing to do. They took away the company picnic, the company Xmas party, even though the company was making great money. They had us working in excessive heat with no air conditioning during a power outage, with little or no concern for the employees. One very pregnant woman went home and threw up all night. No help for the employees without power at home, but always a tax-deductible fundraiser for anyone else with a problem. Then, of course, our jobs were outsourced to break the union. We had average U.S. wages, no one was getting rich. The place was open 7 days, 24 hours a day, we all worked holidays and weekends. I just sent money for my 3rd unemployed month of insurance. They couldnt even pay the employee share for that. This company is explotative, and miserable, and they laugh all the way to the bank.

Cons

Too many to list. No upward mobility, but why would you want to work with Corky the Clown all day? This is a company where they worry about your purse being set on your desk, but not about incompetence. They disrespect the employees, and the customers too. Can you imagine sending emergency money only to later have it held for you to be interviewed, but the interviewer doesnt work on the weekends? Management and their policies are arrogant and ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves, get someone who could score 100 or over on an IQ test.

2. Simply the best employer in Lithuania!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vilnius (Lithuania)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vilnius (Lithuania)

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teams are full of energy and new ideas
    Challenging tasks
    a lot of additional activities (such as committees or volunteering)
    Career opportunities internally

Cons

Sometimes you might get overloaded with different tasks, but with the time you learn to manage your schedule appropriately.