Mediocre Company

Former Employee - Director
Former Employee - Director

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Good pay and benefits at director level and above
- Opportunities for professional growth if aligned with the right project/people
- Possible to maintain life/work balance
- Employees value pleasant work environment/cooperation

Cons

- Core business profitability is in decline and company responding primarily through expense management - transferring domestic jobs to Central America and Eastern Europe. Innovation bought through acquisition rather than in-house development. If you are involved in offshoring or acquisition projects, this can be a very interesting place to work. Unfortunately most employees are in operational or support roles and a lot of them find this environment very unpredictable and feel uncertain about their job security.
- A lot of time and money is expended annually to communicate a vision and set company wide objectives and values aligned with achieving that vision. Regrettably, senior management seem unable to maintain a consistent vision year after year (or even in the same year) and company values are often not demonstrated from the top down.
- Employees interested in being excellent at their work and achieving goals that seem beyond their reach are often frustrated by the levels of bureaucracy, organizational silos, and lack of accountability. If you're interested in keeping busy, but not getting anything done of significance, this could be the place for you!

Advice to Management

There needs to be a fresh way of looking at the money transfer network to exploit its possibilities for the future rather than just focusing on trying to maintain its glorious past of growth.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Solid traditional company

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Denver, CO

I worked at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good benefits
    - good people

Cons

98% of revenue comes from physical stores - so mobile/web not always a primary focus

Unhappy Coworkers

I have been working at Western Union

Pros

Excellent benefits and time off
    Pay is decent

Cons

The way people talk to each other and treat each other here is abysmal, not to mention the lack of internal communication when someone is unhappy. Make sure you have an email thread for every conversation of it never happened. I'm new and I've been told to go fix an application that I didn't know how it was set up, where it was, what system is was on and when I asked basic questions I was ridiculed.

Advice to Management

Treat people like adults, get rid of the dead weight,