Western Union

www.westernunion.com
There are newer employer reviews for Western Union

Management Does not value learning or education

Current Employee - Compliance Manager in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Compliance Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Western Union

Pros

Management is flexible with time off requests. The work is not intimidating or overly difficult. Western Union is a recognized Money Services business and looks good on a resume. Tuition reimbursement benefits are great.

Cons

Benefits are just fair compared to other financial services institutions in Denver as they have chosen the least expensive Aetna plans available (Dental coverage is poor). Management in the compliance group does not value education or learning. They will not support most individuals in obtaining an ACAMS license or any leadership training. We do not have adequate HR Generalist support and therefore no one to oversee the operation. Compliance has a dark mark at Western Union and this might not be indicative of every other department. No bonuses, except for Directors and above. No one ever gets fired; bad apples never reprimanded.

Western Union claims to be concerned about employees but we are yet to see that is the case. We give millions of dollars to foreign countries, our major customers. However, very little is given back to employees.

254 Other Employee Reviews for Western Union (View Most Recent)

Good place to stay but no loyalty for employees. Stock price dictates everything

Former Employee - Regional Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Western Union

Pros

Great benefits, International enviornment, Good place to learn. Great place to stay if you are part of the good ol boy network

Cons

No set hiring standards, promotions are set for close friends of hiring managers, unethnical practices. Stock price will decide every major decision on a daily basis like employee retention which leads to less loyalty among employees. Executive team is from non financial service background ( some one from radio shack) who has no understanding of the ground realities and basic consumer profiles.

Get to know your consumers. Christina is great as a macro manager but other EVP's and SVP's need to improve communication and product/market knowledge.

Western Union and Incompetence--a Real Match.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Western Union

Pros

The benefits were good. Good health insurance. This used to be a great place to work, until First Data bought it. It was spun off from First Data, but of course, all management running the show were from First Data, a company so miserably run, that it was bought by a management investment firm. I cannot even come close to telling you how incompetent management was. I felt like I was back in kindergarten, with all the ridiculous "standards" they came up with. They couldnt get enough managers, some of whom, slept on the job, because they had nothing to do. They took away the company picnic, the company Xmas party, even though the company was making great money. They had us working in excessive heat with no air conditioning during a power outage, with little or no concern for the employees. One very pregnant woman went home and threw up all night. No help for the employees without power at home, but always a tax-deductible fundraiser for anyone else with a problem. Then, of course, our jobs were outsourced to break the union. We had average U.S. wages, no one was getting rich. The place was open 7 days, 24 hours a day, we all worked holidays and weekends. I just sent money for my 3rd unemployed month of insurance. They couldnt even pay the employee share for that. This company is explotative, and miserable, and they laugh all the way to the bank.

Cons

Too many to list. No upward mobility, but why would you want to work with Corky the Clown all day? This is a company where they worry about your purse being set on your desk, but not about incompetence. They disrespect the employees, and the customers too. Can you imagine sending emergency money only to later have it held for you to be interviewed, but the interviewer doesnt work on the weekends? Management and their policies are arrogant and ridiculous.

Fire yourselves, get someone who could score 100 or over on an IQ test.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Union