Western Union and Incompetence--a Real Match.

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Bridgeton, MO
Former Employee - Customer Service in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Western Union

Pros

The benefits were good. Good health insurance. This used to be a great place to work, until First Data bought it. It was spun off from First Data, but of course, all management running the show were from First Data, a company so miserably run, that it was bought by a management investment firm. I cannot even come close to telling you how incompetent management was. I felt like I was back in kindergarten, with all the ridiculous "standards" they came up with. They couldnt get enough managers, some of whom, slept on the job, because they had nothing to do. They took away the company picnic, the company Xmas party, even though the company was making great money. They had us working in excessive heat with no air conditioning during a power outage, with little or no concern for the employees. One very pregnant woman went home and threw up all night. No help for the employees without power at home, but always a tax-deductible fundraiser for anyone else with a problem. Then, of course, our jobs were outsourced to break the union. We had average U.S. wages, no one was getting rich. The place was open 7 days, 24 hours a day, we all worked holidays and weekends. I just sent money for my 3rd unemployed month of insurance. They couldnt even pay the employee share for that. This company is explotative, and miserable, and they laugh all the way to the bank.

Cons

Too many to list. No upward mobility, but why would you want to work with Corky the Clown all day? This is a company where they worry about your purse being set on your desk, but not about incompetence. They disrespect the employees, and the customers too. Can you imagine sending emergency money only to later have it held for you to be interviewed, but the interviewer doesnt work on the weekends? Management and their policies are arrogant and ridiculous.

Fire yourselves, get someone who could score 100 or over on an IQ test.

Other Reviews for Western Union

Talented People

I worked at Western Union

Pros

Talented People
    Great environment with smart and like minded colleagues
    Good Pay and Benefits package
    Global exposure and opportunity for travel

Cons

Only one product
    Not much innovation
    Dated systems and horrible systems management team
    CIO office is more political than functional
    Too many layoffs leading to people afraid of their own shadow and not focusing on their jobs
    Low staff morale

You have great people! Stop throwing them out the door while keeping the ineffectual one (ie the management team). Upgrade your technology base and no, the guys in San Francisco are not doing it - they are having a laugh and taking you for a ride.

Learned a lot but it was challenging

Current Employee - Regional Manager  in  Rome (Italy)
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Rome (Italy)

I have been working at Western Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Western Union you work with people from different cultures and backgrounds. Life is never boring as you are always learning something new.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging. Someone somewhere is always working and depending on your role, your days can be very long, as you are expected to be available.

much of the training is done via web ex, would appreciate the opportunity to step away from the office, meet colleagues from different offices and learn in a class setting occasionally.

There are newer employer reviews for Western Union.

Worked for Western Union? Contribute to the Community!