There are newer employer reviews for Western Union

Western Union and Incompetence--a Real Match.

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Bridgeton, MO
Former Employee - Customer Service in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Western Union

Pros

The benefits were good. Good health insurance. This used to be a great place to work, until First Data bought it. It was spun off from First Data, but of course, all management running the show were from First Data, a company so miserably run, that it was bought by a management investment firm. I cannot even come close to telling you how incompetent management was. I felt like I was back in kindergarten, with all the ridiculous "standards" they came up with. They couldnt get enough managers, some of whom, slept on the job, because they had nothing to do. They took away the company picnic, the company Xmas party, even though the company was making great money. They had us working in excessive heat with no air conditioning during a power outage, with little or no concern for the employees. One very pregnant woman went home and threw up all night. No help for the employees without power at home, but always a tax-deductible fundraiser for anyone else with a problem. Then, of course, our jobs were outsourced to break the union. We had average U.S. wages, no one was getting rich. The place was open 7 days, 24 hours a day, we all worked holidays and weekends. I just sent money for my 3rd unemployed month of insurance. They couldnt even pay the employee share for that. This company is explotative, and miserable, and they laugh all the way to the bank.

Cons

Too many to list. No upward mobility, but why would you want to work with Corky the Clown all day? This is a company where they worry about your purse being set on your desk, but not about incompetence. They disrespect the employees, and the customers too. Can you imagine sending emergency money only to later have it held for you to be interviewed, but the interviewer doesnt work on the weekends? Management and their policies are arrogant and ridiculous.

Fire yourselves, get someone who could score 100 or over on an IQ test.

224 Other Employee Reviews for Western Union (View Most Recent)

Complacent, change resistant culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Western Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive Salary and benefits. Good work life balance.
    Folks with good domain knowledge and execution skills.
    Good bonding across geographies, among employees till mid-senior level.

Cons

Not progressive enough. Time-warped. Business managed based on intuition and relationships.
    Resistance to change.
    Lack of innovation in launching new products and channels.
    Power struggles and politics at senior management affecting performance.

Please step out and make an objective assessment of the company's strengths in the market place.
    There are many technology based disruptors eating into Western Union's market share.Please listen to honest feedback from your employees and become aware of ground realities.

Confused priorities and poor execution

Former Employee - Manager  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at Western Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good compensation, option to work at home, great colleagues

Cons

Senior management wants to do a lot of things which led confusing business strategies and priorities

Get your act together, poor execution of strategies ... The global prepaid shutdown was a result of poor execution and confused priorities

There are newer employer reviews for Western Union

Worked for Western Union? Contribute to the Community!