Westinghouse

www.westinghousenuclear.com
  www.westinghousenuclear.com
There are newer employer reviews for Westinghouse

A business that preaches safety, and actually means it.

Current Employee - Engineer
Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time

Pros

Seem to provide ample opportunities to train in both technical skills, as well as business and project management skills. Westinghouse has a unique blend of design and field service opportunities, which provides engineers with a unique experience of customer interaction which can be uncommon in many engineering companies I have experience with.

Cons

A lot of what you are expected to do there is little training for. Most of my "training" was self-found by speaking with many of my colleagues and learning on the fly. Not that any of that was a con necessarily, but most people like to be trained and communicated expectations on a frequent basis. Often, I did not receive those.

For such a geographically-centric company, Westinghouse still has too many silos. Many times I would be in a bind where I did not even realize there were experts in other segments of the company I could be asking questions. I think better encouraging of cross-business unit communication and collaboration would really bring a new level of efficiency to the company if implemented.

265 Other Employee Reviews for Westinghouse (View Most Recent)

Very good engineering internship

I have been working at Westinghouse as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very good work / life balance
    Nice new facilities which make work more tolerable
    Ability to work 50 hours a week to get every other friday off

Cons

Lots of politics
    Whole industry depends on legislation - unstable
    Red tape as far as the eye can see on certain projects

There needs to be more company coordination within Information Systems. Lots of people working towards the same goal competing for technical resources makes for project delays.

Good company, but needs to look towards the future.

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family-oriented environment. Good salary. Good benefits. They pay extremely well in the market where I am located, so turnover is very low.

Cons

Could do a better job at planning for future opportunities. Cannot fall on it's history or it will lose top talent. Must be more progressive. Must do a better job at holding people accountable. Paying well keeps people, but many are here only for a paycheck, not to make a difference.

Give high performers more opportunities within the company. Standardize practices across the different business units and regions.

There are newer employer reviews for Westinghouse