Westinghouse

www.westinghousenuclear.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Westinghouse

A business that preaches safety, and actually means it.

Current Employee - Engineer
Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time

Pros

Seem to provide ample opportunities to train in both technical skills, as well as business and project management skills. Westinghouse has a unique blend of design and field service opportunities, which provides engineers with a unique experience of customer interaction which can be uncommon in many engineering companies I have experience with.

Cons

A lot of what you are expected to do there is little training for. Most of my "training" was self-found by speaking with many of my colleagues and learning on the fly. Not that any of that was a con necessarily, but most people like to be trained and communicated expectations on a frequent basis. Often, I did not receive those.

For such a geographically-centric company, Westinghouse still has too many silos. Many times I would be in a bind where I did not even realize there were experts in other segments of the company I could be asking questions. I think better encouraging of cross-business unit communication and collaboration would really bring a new level of efficiency to the company if implemented.

280 Other Employee Reviews for Westinghouse (View Most Recent)

Very good engineering internship

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Westinghouse as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very good work / life balance
    Nice new facilities which make work more tolerable
    Ability to work 50 hours a week to get every other friday off

Cons

Lots of politics
    Whole industry depends on legislation - unstable
    Red tape as far as the eye can see on certain projects

There needs to be more company coordination within Information Systems. Lots of people working towards the same goal competing for technical resources makes for project delays.

Money can't compensated for everything

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, salary and other related compensation.

Cons

Too many processes/precedures in placed that added unnecessary burden to engineers who did real works.

Good hard working engineers are rewarded with more workload whereas sloppy engineers get away with less works and nothing much to do.

There are long term issues that management don't know what to do to fix and passed the balls around in different departments and eventually the issues gotten worst and too late to fix.

It is who you know to get promoted, depends on who ass's you kissed. It is totally nothing to do with the amount of work you do or how well you perfomed.

Good ppl choose to leave for better opportunities while bad ppl continue to stay and contribute to the falling company.

Get rid of ppl that does nothing and start replacing old school managers who refused new ideas and hesistate to change.

There are newer employer reviews for Westinghouse