Always in flux

Current Employee - Manager in Cranberry Township, PA
Current Employee - Manager in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay above average. A lot of good people working there. Nice Headquarters in Cranberry. New CEO Roderick seems to get it or at least is talking it now, we shall see.

Cons

Good ole boy network. Rather top heavy in Mgmt and I often wonder how some got their positions. Very cut-throat, lots of finger pointing. Always under the worry of layoffs or redeployments. Good people can be gone the next day. People are paranoid.

They preach safety first but schedule actually rules. They tend to not listen to process improvement ideas until its too late and critical. They seem to value people who put out fires rather than those that have ideas to prevent them. There is such an environment of silos, it's like "as long as I'm not to blame, I don't care what your group does". A lot of creative workarounds in some groups.

They preach the work/life balance but the schedule again rules. A lot of lip service.

Advice to Management

Cut out the top heavy Management. Allow employees to work, not keep explaining what they are doing to Mgmt. Cutting worker bees not the answer. Break down silos.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

More busy work than technical, mediocre/boring work, aging company, unruly management

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work isn't stressful
    40 hour week
    No traveling required
    Of course, this is dependent on the group you are a part of

Cons

Old school policies - just started allowing business casual year round; we have "flex-time" which really isn't flexible, still have to be at work at specific hours every weekday
    Few benefits - had the ability to work 9/80s but then that was taken away; no bonuses; only sign of appreciation is being taken to a holiday lunch once a year (not even a good restaurant)
    Little vacation time and takes 10 years before you'll get any more
    Extremely difficult to get promoted or to get any major raises
    So much management, that it can be difficult to resolve issues. It feels like if you want to get something done, just do it and ask for authorization afterwards
    Budget is in control - being within budget is most important
    Work is not challenging whatsoever and is more about writing documents than doing actual work. I am not growing in my skills, just stagnating.
    My manager often does not know what I am done - during my annual review he mentioned he hadn't known what I did for the past year

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees often to know what they are working on and learn about any problems that exist. Actually help your employees if they raise an issue rather than just saying you will. Listen when an employee raises an issue rather than quickly dismissing it and coming up with invalid justifications. Show some kind of appreciation for your employees other than holiday lunches.

2. Great Internship

Current Intern - Intern in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Intern - Intern in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid well, employees were very helpful in making deadlines, awesome facilities.

Cons

Training was not that good

Advice to Management

Have more career oportunities