Westinghouse

www.westinghousenuclear.com
  www.westinghousenuclear.com
There are newer employer reviews for Westinghouse

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Principal Project Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA
Current Employee - Principal Project Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great travel opporrtunties, for the most part compentent co-workers, great pay, great work life balance, great cafe

Cons

highly regulated industry, during hiring boom (2006- 2011) HR appeared to reduce standards and hired some low quality employees

265 Other Employee Reviews for Westinghouse (View Most Recent)

Hidden Factory

Former Employee - Too Much Data in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Too Much Data in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is great for entry level jobs at above average pay. There are a lot of good people working at WEC.

Cons

Bogged down in procedure, business processes tend to be convoluted and contradictory. Recognition is really based on who you know, a ton of nepotism and cronyism. WEC is highly eduation oriented (especially geared towards engineers), there is a large tendency to place engineers in charge of non-engineering groups. There is much lip service to quality before schedule, and much action to the opposite. Finally, there are many cogs moving behind the scenes, cuts and layoffs as a solution to bugetary concerns are thrown around in upper management meetings, and they are completely tight lipped about it. It really looks like the hammer may fall hard and catch many unaware.

Be open with everything going on, the air of fear amongst the general workforce is palpable, and openess is the only way to ease it. Also, ousting the "like hires like" philosopy may improve your retention of good employees.

More busy work than technical, mediocre/boring work, aging company, unruly management

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work isn't stressful
    40 hour week
    No traveling required
    Of course, this is dependent on the group you are a part of

Cons

Old school policies - just started allowing business casual year round; we have "flex-time" which really isn't flexible, still have to be at work at specific hours every weekday
    Few benefits - had the ability to work 9/80s but then that was taken away; no bonuses; only sign of appreciation is being taken to a holiday lunch once a year (not even a good restaurant)
    Little vacation time and takes 10 years before you'll get any more
    Extremely difficult to get promoted or to get any major raises
    So much management, that it can be difficult to resolve issues. It feels like if you want to get something done, just do it and ask for authorization afterwards
    Budget is in control - being within budget is most important
    Work is not challenging whatsoever and is more about writing documents than doing actual work. I am not growing in my skills, just stagnating.
    My manager often does not know what I am done - during my annual review he mentioned he hadn't known what I did for the past year

Talk to your employees often to know what they are working on and learn about any problems that exist. Actually help your employees if they raise an issue rather than just saying you will. Listen when an employee raises an issue rather than quickly dismissing it and coming up with invalid justifications. Show some kind of appreciation for your employees other than holiday lunches.

There are newer employer reviews for Westinghouse