Hidden Factory

Former Employee - Too Much Data in Cranberry Twp, PA
Former Employee - Too Much Data in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is great for entry level jobs at above average pay. There are a lot of good people working at WEC.

Cons

Bogged down in procedure, business processes tend to be convoluted and contradictory. Recognition is really based on who you know, a ton of nepotism and cronyism. WEC is highly eduation oriented (especially geared towards engineers), there is a large tendency to place engineers in charge of non-engineering groups. There is much lip service to quality before schedule, and much action to the opposite. Finally, there are many cogs moving behind the scenes, cuts and layoffs as a solution to bugetary concerns are thrown around in upper management meetings, and they are completely tight lipped about it. It really looks like the hammer may fall hard and catch many unaware.

Advice to Management

Be open with everything going on, the air of fear amongst the general workforce is palpable, and openess is the only way to ease it. Also, ousting the "like hires like" philosopy may improve your retention of good employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Westinghouse

More busy work than technical, mediocre/boring work, aging company, unruly management

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work isn't stressful 40 hour week No traveling required Of course, this is dependent on the group you are a part of

Cons

Old school policies - just started allowing business casual year round; we have "flex-time" which really isn't flexible, still have to be at work at specific hours every weekday Few benefits - had the ability to work 9/80s but then that was taken away; no bonuses; only sign of appreciation is being taken to a holiday lunch once a year (not even a good restaurant) Little vacation time and takes 10 years before you'll get any more Extremely difficult to get promoted or to get any major raises So much management, that it can be difficult to resolve issues. It feels like if you want to get something done, just do it and ask for authorization afterwards Budget is in control - being within budget is most important Work is not challenging whatsoever and is more about writing documents than doing actual work. I am not growing in my skills, just stagnating. My manager often does not know what I am done - during my annual review he mentioned he hadn't known what I did for the past year

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees often to know what they are working on and learn about any problems that exist. Actually help your employees if they raise an issue rather than just saying you will. Listen when an employee raises an issue rather than quickly dismissing it and coming up with invalid justifications. Show some kind of appreciation for your employees other than holiday lunches.

2. Great Internship

Current Intern - Intern in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Intern - Intern in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid well, employees were very helpful in making deadlines, awesome facilities.

Cons

Training was not that good

Advice to Management

Have more career oportunities