Westinghouse

www.westinghousenuclear.com
  www.westinghousenuclear.com
There are newer employer reviews for Westinghouse

Nicest people in the world!

Former Employee - Senior Communications Specialist  in  Ogden, UT
Former Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Ogden, UT

I worked at Westinghouse as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

This was the best job I ever had. I worked with the kindest people I've ever known. The company is well organized and has systems in place that ensure success. You are trained to be accountable and forward thinking. They never scold for mistakes, rather use them as learning opportunities.

Cons

Due to struggles in the nuclear fuel market, I was layed off.

Make personnel decision on a more personal level. Don't let corporate decide who goes and who stays based on numbers. We are human beings doing exceptional jobs.

251 Other Employee Reviews for Westinghouse (View Most Recent)

Great Company to Start Your Career

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Cranberry Township, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High starting salaries for those right out of college or little experience, looks great on the resume; exposed to the most stringent regulations that exist in any industry, great and intelligent people to work with, lots to gain from those with 20+ years in the Nuclear Industry, great travel opportunities

Cons

VERY out of touch management that spend most of their time in meetings rather than managing their people. too many family ties within the company, upper management does not communicate well with employees, upper management believes that working employees harder and longer leads to success, often requires mandatory overtime to make up for mis-managed projects. Training is poor, there is a huge knowledge gap between very experienced and new employees. Westinghouse owner Toshiba is focused on making a profit and cutting costs. This is not the same Westinghouse your parents knew... Less employee focused, more schedule/money driven. The new CEO is no nonsense, and focused on making a profit. But, at least he's not afraid to say so, very straight forward and honest so far.

WEC needs to start over, beginning with an internal audit of their management. There are too many levels of management, resulting in lack of communication and trust with employees. Suspended training programs need to be re-instituted to help motivate employees to stay. Don't institute policies (such as FlexTime) and then take them away.

Always in flux

Current Employee - Manager  in  Cranberry Township, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay above average. A lot of good people working there. Nice Headquarters in Cranberry. New CEO Roderick seems to get it or at least is talking it now, we shall see.

Cons

Good ole boy network. Rather top heavy in Mgmt and I often wonder how some got their positions. Very cut-throat, lots of finger pointing. Always under the worry of layoffs or redeployments. Good people can be gone the next day. People are paranoid.

They preach safety first but schedule actually rules. They tend to not listen to process improvement ideas until its too late and critical. They seem to value people who put out fires rather than those that have ideas to prevent them. There is such an environment of silos, it's like "as long as I'm not to blame, I don't care what your group does". A lot of creative workarounds in some groups.

They preach the work/life balance but the schedule again rules. A lot of lip service.

Cut out the top heavy Management. Allow employees to work, not keep explaining what they are doing to Mgmt. Cutting worker bees not the answer. Break down silos.

There are newer employer reviews for Westinghouse

Worked for Westinghouse? Contribute to the Community!