Overall good!

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great. The cafeteria is also great, it's like a fancy mall food court. The work-life balance is amazing.

Cons

Our product limits us to only a few customers and few selected countries. This hurts the potential opportunities for the near and long term future. No program for keeping good talent and improving their skills and chances to move up.

Advice to Management

Develop an adequate Leadership development program to retain the talent.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Nicest people in the world!

Former Contractor - Senior Communications Specialist in Ogden, UT
    Former Contractor - Senior Communications Specialist in Ogden, UT

I worked at Westinghouse as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This was the best job I ever had. I worked with the kindest people I've ever known. The company is well organized and has systems in place that ensure success. You are trained to be accountable and forward thinking. They never scold for mistakes, rather use them as learning opportunities.

Cons

Due to struggles in the nuclear fuel market, I was layed off.

Advice to Management

Make personnel decision on a more personal level. Don't let corporate decide who goes and who stays based on numbers. We are human beings doing exceptional jobs.

Great Company to Start Your Career

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High starting salaries for those right out of college or little experience, looks great on the resume; exposed to the most stringent regulations that exist in any industry, great and intelligent people to work with, lots to gain from those with 20+ years in the Nuclear Industry, great travel opportunities

Cons

VERY out of touch management that spend most of their time in meetings rather than managing their people. too many family ties within the company, upper management does not communicate well with employees, upper management believes that working employees harder and longer leads to success, often requires mandatory overtime to make up for mis-managed projects. Training is poor, there is a huge knowledge gap between very experienced and new employees. Westinghouse owner Toshiba is focused on making a profit and cutting costs. This is not the same Westinghouse your parents knew... Less employee focused, more schedule/money driven. The new CEO is no nonsense, and focused on making a profit. But, at least he's not afraid to say so, very straight forward and honest so far.

Advice to Management

WEC needs to start over, beginning with an internal audit of their management. There are too many levels of management, resulting in lack of communication and trust with employees. Suspended training programs need to be re-instituted to help motivate employees to stay. Don't institute policies (such as FlexTime) and then take them away.