Adjunct Instructor Westwood College Annandale Campus

Current Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Annandale, VA
Current Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Annandale, VA

I have been working at Westwood College as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good supportive working relationships with colleagues, a genuine desire to teach and support students

Cons

Emphasis seems to be shifting to a more corporate and less educational outlook

Advice to Management

Support collaborative, innovative work by staff. Shield staff from corporate distractions

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. All about the money

Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Denver, CO
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Westwood College as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can work from anywhere in the world with an internet connection- that's the only thing I can think of.

Cons

Absolutely no commitment to solid course design. All official communication seems to revolve around making students feel good, rather than giving them an education. Since I started there a few years ago, one course I teach has changed in no way, yet I'm now being paid half of what I was when I started. This is because the course went from 9 to 4.5 credits. This is not fair to either me nor the students, who are now doing the same amount of work for half the credits.

Advice to Management

Pay for solid course design- At least pretend you care more about the students' education than you do their cash.

Admissions Dept in need of overhaul

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The actual team members I work with are fantastic. Management was a different story. Several years ago, there was an opportunity to make more money and move around in the company. However, for the past 3 years, there have been salary freezes.

Cons

Unrealistic goals and terrible leads; Rude management personalities and micro-management with time management throughout the day. The Admissions team was required to use their 30 min break time to use the restroom. Selling a 75K degree over the phone in 2 hours time; with all the negative press and disclosures, and consistent IT issues was not a good experience. HR dept with little compassion for representatives - and more aligned with Director's agendas and disciplinary actions, than fairness.

Advice to Management

Start with an overhaul of your leadership team. Hire motivational, ETHICAL managers to lead your teams. Stop putting undue pressure on Admissions to produce more volume - and focus on bettering the quality of your leads and student experience. Downsize your training dept - way too many trainers for the small number of new hires you have each year. Remove the "Bathroom Break" micromanaging that is happening in Admissions... it has caused a drop in morale because people want to be treated like adults.