There are newer employer reviews for Westwood College

I worked there

Former Employee - Program Director in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Program Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teaching the students and helping them.

Cons

For profit institution. Shady recruitment, hard to face students being ripped off. Administration only cares about profits.

None

107 Other Employee Reviews for Westwood College (View Most Recent)

My experience at Westwood College has been rewarding.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Westwood College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Westwood College is the fact you interact with a diverse and intelligent student body and the environment/atmosphere is inviting.

Cons

Some of the reasons for not working at Westwood College includes their marginal salaries and advancement may not come as quickly as one may desire.

When vacant positions need to be filled, look more to your adjunct faculty staff to fill those positions.

Don't work here if you care about Education

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Westwood College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay. Close to home. Got to know some good people who processed loans and such. They flew me to Denver for training too.

Cons

I accepted a position there because I genuinely care about students. I have a degree in education and when the economy tanked, this was a good option. Sometimes I wonder if that's the only reason they hired me--so they could tell their critics that their staff has education experience.

At the beginning of every semester, there are these intense meetings for 14 days straight, at least an hour or more each day. All of the department heads would have to attend. The purpose of that meeting? To figure out why student A, B or C hasn't processed their paperwork for their loans/grants/military benefits yet. Why 14 days? Because that's the magic number of days that the federal government requires a student to be attending class before they will send the loan and grant money to a college. The saying was "We need asses in classes."

After 14-days, I was told to stop caring about those students I had just recruited and start recruiting new ones for the next session. The only reason I should be talking to old students is to get names and phone numbers of new people to recruit.

We received incentive pay for meeting and exceeding recruiting goals. It’s technically against the law for any school receiving federal funds to have quotas for their admissions recruiters. Westwood will tell you that the goals are “incentives.” If it’s just that, then why are there trophies and plaques and exotic trips for reps who have the highest recruiting numbers?

Westwood has been trying to get Regional Accreditation (the highest standard available) for years. Whenever the accreditation people would visit, we'd have to take down our plaques and trophies.

Everything that we did was for the ultimate goal of getting that big fat loan check from the government or a bank. I felt like I was brainwashed. Every time I questioned a recruiting tactic, they would tell me that I was being to "cerebral".

My director told me to say things like, "Oh, you said your 7th grade English teacher really supports you going to college. Do you think she would co-sign a loan for you?"

In the end, they fired me for not meeting my sales goals. That was the best thing that could have happened to me. I look back and I feel like I sold my soul.

Stop pretending you care about students and their future. You don't. Period.

There are newer employer reviews for Westwood College