Loved it!

Former Employee - FWS in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - FWS in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work around.

Cons

Limited hours. Limited advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

None

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Worked hard established myself as core subject matter expert and in the end it was a fulfilling teaching experience.

Current Employee - Full-Time Instructor in Calumet City, IL
    Current Employee - Full-Time Instructor in Calumet City, IL

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the students and helping them overcome their difficulties. This is the real perk to the job.

Cons

Even though my track record was perfect and never called off in 8 years they let me go because they couldn't offer me 3 classes. Complete hands off administration. Disrespectful and aggressive financial aid staff interrupting class to intercept students to fill out financial aide forms, etc. Cost of school is astronomical. 80k for a bachelor's degree. Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans. No vacation, No matching 401k.

Advice to Management

Enter the classrooms and greet the students and faculty that teach the courses that pay your salaries. Firing seasoned faculty kills the culture of the school. Find some alternatives. Do a better job at educating students. The student's do not get what they pay for. 95% are on financial aide and do not understand what they are doing to their financial future by going to this school. Do better than placing students at Kinko's upon graduation.

2. For-profit college internal struggle; Fantastic co-workers

Former Employee - Instructor in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Arlington, VA

I worked at Westwood College part-time

Pros

Co-workers were professional, courteous, kind. Hiring manager was laid back, easy to talk to. Not intimidating at all. Willing to work with my schedule to determine teaching schedule. Were open to me incorporating fresh ideas to the shared syllabus. Free parking at building for instructors.

Cons

Training session was tiresome, but expected. It's hard to teach young people knowing that they are going into tremendous amounts of debt just to get a diploma from an unaccredited university. (Hiring managers typically only accept accredited colleges and universities when reviewing applicants.) Seeing the recruitment process first hand was sobering. Talk about a moral/ethical dilemma. I had to leave.