There are newer employer reviews for Wet Seal

Left me completely disenchanted with retail

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Wet Seal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generous discount is about the only pro I can manage here. The clothing is not of horrible quality so I did take advantage of that perk.

Cons

I was hired as a store manager for a new location that was opening. From the start I realized how disorganized this company was. They had no definitive opening date for the store and when I did get it, it turned out to be only 10 days from my hire date. That means I had 10 days to be trained, recruit, hire and train my entire staff and set up the entire store which on my hire date was just an empty shell of a store. Needless to say, it was a complete disaster. I was trained for 2 AND A HALF DAYS. Let me repeat that, I had 2 AND A HALF DAYS of training. That's less than three days to learn all of the SOPS, the computer system, their visual guidelines, everything. The store opening was mayhem and we ended up closing after about an hour because HQ had failed to acquire the appropriate permits. Not a great start.
 In my first 2 months after the store opening, it was not uncommon for me to work 70 hour weeks because I could not find help from neighboring stores to fill the gaps in my schedule. I repeatedly asked my DM for assistance in filling my open management positions but received nothing from her. She was one of the most disorganized and overwhelmed DMs I have ever worked for. When I would call other stores to ask for help, they were unapologetically disinterested in helping a fellow store manager. There was no sense of community in my district. Every woman for herself it seems.
 I left after 3 months of misery and have never looked back.
 Wet seal is disorganized, and does not care about their employees. Once I quit, I contacted the head of Human Resources and the VP and no one seemed at all interest in hearing the grievances of an ex employee. They need to get it together and it is no wonder they have so much turn-over.
Worst retail experience ever.

Show some respect for your employees. Give new store managers the training they need.

192 Other Employee Reviews for Wet Seal (View Most Recent)

Make you little worker bees

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wet Seal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Manager and staff. With a great team you can learn alot about retail with this company.

Cons

Horrible district manager and not appreciated for hard work.

Communicate with store managers and staff more to understanf what each store needs and wants to succeed.

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They care about their employees and are open to feedback and suggestions
    Attempt to make the heavy work load as easy to complete as possible, understanding and flexible higher management

Cons

Smaller company, heavy work load
    A lot of tasking expected at times along with a heavy culture for customer service, giving the feeling that you're being pulled in multiple directions at once

Always work hard and follow policy and you'll be fine

There are newer employer reviews for Wet Seal