There are newer employer reviews for Wet Seal

Left me completely disenchanted with retail

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Wet Seal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous discount is about the only pro I can manage here. The clothing is not of horrible quality so I did take advantage of that perk.

Cons

I was hired as a store manager for a new location that was opening. From the start I realized how disorganized this company was. They had no definitive opening date for the store and when I did get it, it turned out to be only 10 days from my hire date. That means I had 10 days to be trained, recruit, hire and train my entire staff and set up the entire store which on my hire date was just an empty shell of a store. Needless to say, it was a complete disaster. I was trained for 2 AND A HALF DAYS. Let me repeat that, I had 2 AND A HALF DAYS of training. That's less than three days to learn all of the SOPS, the computer system, their visual guidelines, everything. The store opening was mayhem and we ended up closing after about an hour because HQ had failed to acquire the appropriate permits. Not a great start. In my first 2 months after the store opening, it was not uncommon for me to work 70 hour weeks because I could not find help from neighboring stores to fill the gaps in my schedule. I repeatedly asked my DM for assistance in filling my open management positions but received nothing from her. She was one of the most disorganized and overwhelmed DMs I have ever worked for. When I would call other stores to ask for help, they were unapologetically disinterested in helping a fellow store manager. There was no sense of community in my district. Every woman for herself it seems. I left after 3 months of misery and have never looked back. Wet seal is disorganized, and does not care about their employees. Once I quit, I contacted the head of Human Resources and the VP and no one seemed at all interest in hearing the grievances of an ex employee. They need to get it together and it is no wonder they have so much turn-over. Worst retail experience ever.

Advice to Management

Show some respect for your employees. Give new store managers the training they need.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They care about their employees and are open to feedback and suggestions Attempt to make the heavy work load as easy to complete as possible, understanding and flexible higher management

Cons

Smaller company, heavy work load A lot of tasking expected at times along with a heavy culture for customer service, giving the feeling that you're being pulled in multiple directions at once

Advice to Management

Always work hard and follow policy and you'll be fine

Unstable company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Wet Seal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was competitive compared to other brands in the industry. I was lucky to have a great district manager who supported me and my team and kept the flow of communication constant and open.

Cons

High level of units in the store, which made visual moves and inventory difficult. Shoplifting seemed to be more prevalant than other places i had worked, so you must really be on top of loss prevention. The company was going through many changes and financial hardships while I was there, which created some fear among employees. Management was given so many operational tasks without appropriate payroll hours to support. This made it difficult for management to do what they were best at, which was sales and sales training.

Advice to Management

Listen to store feedback and streamline redundant tasking.