There are newer employer reviews for Weyerhaeuser

Weyerhaeuser Engineering

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Federal Way, WA
Former Employee - Project Engineer in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Good salary and benifits, treated professionally, good communication from upper management

Cons

Lack of job security, too many hours required

Company direction and planning need to be for the long term, not just the next fiscal quarte

171 Other Employee Reviews for Weyerhaeuser (View Most Recent)

Shrinking company losing its best employees

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Company values work/life balance. You will never be asked to work overtime, and managers don't care much if you're a bit late, take long lunches, or leave early. They are also very flexible when it comes to working compressed weeks as well as telecommuting. If you find the right team in the company, you can actually have a lot of fun.
    The company also puts a lot of emphasis on safety; office workers have software on their computers that forces them to take typing breaks and even recommends ergonomic exercises to help prevent injuries.
    There is also a great sense of equality; for example, everyone, up to and including the CEO works in a cubicle.

Cons

Too much effort is put into making sure that salaries are very similar. This means that someone who has a very challenging job will make as much money as someone who has a very easy job.
    Probably the largest downside to working for Weyerhaeuser is the very flat management structure. From a rank and file employee, you have a manager, a director, and an executive. This means that it takes a very long time to reach a management position (20 years for many folks). In addition, with the organization shrinking and entire teams disappearing, there are fewer and fewer management positions available, with more and more people assigned to the same manager.

The company is shrinking, and in these challenging times, top performers see few reasons to stay on what increasingly appears to be a sinking ship. To retain those people, the company should at least increase their compensation to be more competitive. It is very hard to continue working with a company that is doing so poorly while knowing that the salary you are being paid is below market value, and managers are unable to raise it due to highly restrictive HR rules that throw entire organizations into the same salary range.

It's said to watch a venerable old company go down hill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with

Cons

The current uncertainty is have for all of us to maintain a good attitude. They are cutting jobs and at the same time asking us to do more with much less.

I know you say we have to contract before we grow again, but will any thing be left?

There are newer employer reviews for Weyerhaeuser