Weyerhaeuser
www.weyerhaeuser.com Federal Way, WA 5000+ Employees

Excellent times in 80's - 90's going downhill from 2002 onward, spiralling down fast after 2008

R&D Employee (Former Employee)
Federal Way, WA

ProsDepends on what decade you refer to, used to be the people and the managers were great. It was always pro-people and one felt valued. Classic Weyerhaeuser managers focused on keeping the clutter that trickled down from on high from interfering with our work and production. All one had to do was the job. Period. I am lucky to have had a long career with a great company in the good times. And to have finally escaped the banality of what it sadly became. Job rating 1978-2007 = 9/10. Rating 2007-2011 = 1/10. Huge difference. Had a great time mostly, not bitter, not sad, just kind of a shame of what has befallen perhaps.

ConsIn the last 3-4 years it all went badly at R&D, primarily due to almost cartoonishly bad onsite management. Hard to know what happened, or who is to blame, but basically during SG&A reductions, many good people were targeted for layoff programs, but their managers always survived and got 'reassigned'. The place became a circus tent of way too many average-at-best managers, with nothing to do but annoy, pester and make life difficult and do so on a daily basis. Someone had decided that they needed to become more hands-on I suppose. By late 2008 an inane fascination with process and safety had overidden any focus on production. One had to work hard to just keep busy. So called improvements on safety and the RIR after 2008 has been a disorganized 3 ring circus, truly absurd to see it happen. I finally learned what the old saying 'inmates running the asylum' means. Painfull.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother? I'm a lowly peasant, they the annoited, are cozy in bed with Wall Street and living large, their jobs always end with a huge golden parachute, if they do end.. I will say that the fact that the company leadership does not seem to know how silly and unproductive their expensive R&D facility has become since 2008, does not reflect highly on their management acumen. If you cats were as smart as your bank accounts tell you, then clean the management up over there from top down, go back to flat and lean, or close it down, it's a joke.

Great people working on my Team. Overall unstable work envrionment due to economic climate - continuous lay-offs.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Boise, ID

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros: Decent benefits and pay. Good safety priorities. Cons: Very process driven and not very customer focused. Continuous lay-offs due… More

I was very pleased with my worklife at Weyerhaeser

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Federal Way, WA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros: Respect in the workplace Work-life Balance Learning Opportunities Cons: Not entrepeurial Inertia inordinate focus on safety detracts from action focus Recent… Advice to Senior Management: Reward the folks who have gotten you through the recession.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Weyerhaeuser.

Worked for Weyerhaeuser? Contribute to the Community!

Weyerhaeuser – Why Work for Us?

GROWING TOMORROW'S TEAM We deliver superior, sustainable solutions to the world with forest products that provide shelter, create green energy and make lives more comfortable. We’re serious about safety, focused on… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Weyerhaeuser reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Weyerhaeuser CEO Doyle Simons . All reviews posted anonymously by Weyerhaeuser employees.