Weyerhaeuser

www.weyerhaeuser.com
  www.weyerhaeuser.com
There are newer employer reviews for Weyerhaeuser

Excellent times in 80's - 90's going downhill from 2002 onward, spiralling down fast after 2008

Former Employee - R&D Employee in Federal Way, WA
Former Employee - R&D Employee in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Depends on what decade you refer to, used to be the people and the managers were great. It was always pro-people and one felt valued. Classic Weyerhaeuser managers focused on keeping the clutter that trickled down from on high from interfering with our work and production. All one had to do was the job. Period. I am lucky to have had a long career with a great company in the good times. And to have finally escaped the banality of what it sadly became. Job rating 1978-2007 = 9/10. Rating 2007-2011 = 1/10. Huge difference. Had a great time mostly, not bitter, not sad, just kind of a shame of what has befallen perhaps.

Cons

In the last 3-4 years it all went badly at R&D, primarily due to almost cartoonishly bad onsite management. Hard to know what happened, or who is to blame, but basically during SG&A reductions, many good people were targeted for layoff programs, but their managers always survived and got 'reassigned'. The place became a circus tent of way too many average-at-best managers, with nothing to do but annoy, pester and make life difficult and do so on a daily basis. Someone had decided that they needed to become more hands-on I suppose. By late 2008 an inane fascination with process and safety had overidden any focus on production. One had to work hard to just keep busy. So called improvements on safety and the RIR after 2008 has been a disorganized 3 ring circus, truly absurd to see it happen. I finally learned what the old saying 'inmates running the asylum' means. Painfull.

Why bother? I'm a lowly peasant, they the annoited, are cozy in bed with Wall Street and living large, their jobs always end with a huge golden parachute, if they do end.. I will say that the fact that the company leadership does not seem to know how silly and unproductive their expensive R&D facility has become since 2008, does not reflect highly on their management acumen. If you cats were as smart as your bank accounts tell you, then clean the management up over there from top down, go back to flat and lean, or close it down, it's a joke.

177 Other Employee Reviews for Weyerhaeuser (View Most Recent)

Great people working on my Team. Overall unstable work envrionment due to economic climate - continuous lay-offs.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Decent benefits and pay.
    Good safety priorities.

Cons

Very process driven and not very customer focused.
    Continuous lay-offs due to the economy.
    Senior leadership is more reactive than proactive.

I was very pleased with my worklife at Weyerhaeser

Former Employee - Product Manager in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Respect in the workplace
    Work-life Balance
    Learning Opportunities

Cons

Not entrepeurial
    Inertia
    inordinate focus on safety detracts from action focus
    Recent loss of outstanding performance focused talent

Reward the folks who have gotten you through the recession. Shrink Woodproducts footprint where it doesn't support Timber base.

There are newer employer reviews for Weyerhaeuser