Whataburger

There are newer employer reviews for Whataburger

Work Somewhere Else If You Want A Life

Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Equipment Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Whataburger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent and the potential for a lot of overtime.

Cons

Long hours (sometimes 24 hours) and being called out at all hours of the day and night.

In my opinion, having been an Equipment Technician, you cannot keep your restaurants open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 364 days a year and expect the equipment to operate safely and properly, much less to be clean and sanitary. To Whataburger's credit, they are closed Christmas day. In all honesty, I don't know how some of the restaurants pass the health inspection. The fryers were the grossest pieces of equipment I had ever seen in my 28 years in the restaurant equipment repair business. The grills weren't much better, along with the walk-in-coolers and freezers. Whataburger expects their technicians to work on equipment in small kitchens while the kitchen staff literally step on you. When working on a hot fryer or around live electrical circuits, that can be a dangerous scenario.

The restaurant managers and area managers are not your friends if you're an Equipment Technician. You are the enemy because every minute you spend in the restaurants is money out of their pockets. The maintenance division of Whataburger is a separate company, independent of their restaurants. Service calls and equipment preventative maintenance time are billed to the restaurant, so even though the managers need you there to repair or maintain a piece of equipment, they treat the technicians like they're robbing them of their profits and bonuses which, in reality, they are. That's because Whataburger holds it against their restaurant managers whenever they have too many instances of equipment breakdowns and the costs of repairs come off the restaurant's bottom lines. Manager bonuses are affected, also.

In addition, you are expected to work around the clock, if necessary. Several times I worked 24 straight hours with no sleep. Whenever that happened, your supervisor expects you to "give" some hours to the company so it looks better for him. As I said, the pay is decent and you can make a fairly good living being an Equipment Technician, but don't expect to have a lot of time to have a life beyond Whataburger. However, if you're single, young and you don't expect to have a life, Whataburger can be a great place to work.

166 Other Employee Reviews for Whataburger (View Most Recent)

WHATABURGER

Former Employee - Team Member in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Team Member in Waco, TX

I worked at Whataburger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company promotes from within and this is great. This company has management that are great role models and that want to help you succeed.

Cons

Every place has people that are just there to get a check. I worked with a member of management that did not care to train or help with aadvancement.

When you are doing your interview look for thoses red flags so that you do not have someone in management that does not care.

i like it

Current Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Whataburger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its okay so far, everyone likes to laugh and joke but we get our work done :)
    I like my job

Cons

nothing nothing nothing nothing nothong its awesome as is. i wouldnt want to work anywhere else

There are newer employer reviews for Whataburger