Whataburger

www.whataburger.com

Work Somewhere Else If You Want A Life

Equipment Technician (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPay is decent and the potential for a lot of overtime.

ConsLong hours (sometimes 24 hours) and being called out at all hours of the day and night.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my opinion, having been an Equipment Technician, you cannot keep your restaurants open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 364 days a year and expect the equipment to operate safely and properly, much less to be clean and sanitary. To Whataburger's credit, they are closed Christmas day. In all honesty, I don't know how some of the restaurants pass the health inspection. The fryers were the grossest pieces of equipment I had ever seen in my 28 years in the restaurant equipment repair business. The grills weren't much better, along with the walk-in-coolers and freezers. Whataburger expects their technicians to work on equipment in small kitchens while the kitchen staff literally step on you. When working on a hot fryer or around live electrical circuits, that can be a dangerous scenario.

The restaurant managers and area managers are not your friends if you're an Equipment Technician. You are the enemy because every minute you spend in the restaurants is money out of their pockets. The maintenance division of Whataburger is a separate company, independent of their restaurants. Service calls and equipment preventative maintenance time are billed to the restaurant, so even though the managers need you there to repair or maintain a piece of equipment, they treat the technicians like they're robbing them of their profits and bonuses which, in reality, they are. That's because Whataburger holds it against their restaurant managers whenever they have too many instances of equipment breakdowns and the costs of repairs come off the restaurant's bottom lines. Manager bonuses are affected, also.

In addition, you are expected to work around the clock, if necessary. Several times I worked 24 straight hours with no sleep. Whenever that happened, your supervisor expects you to "give" some hours to the company so it looks better for him. As I said, the pay is decent and you can make a fairly good living being an Equipment Technician, but don't expect to have a lot of time to have a life beyond Whataburger. However, if you're single, young and you don't expect to have a life, Whataburger can be a great place to work.

i like it

Cashier (Current Employee) Austin, TX

I have been working at Whataburger part-time for less than a year

Pros: Its okay so far, everyone likes to laugh and joke… Cons: nothing nothing nothing nothing nothong its awesome as is. i… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

No longer a family oriented company. Outsourcing and good-ol'boy system.

Technology Department (Former Employee) Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Whataburger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: There have to be some, but I cannot think of any… Cons: The passing of Mrs. Dobson has allowed the more greedy portion of the family to take over. Wage reductions, indifference to employees and "family… Advice to Senior Management: Remember where the company started, family values and caring for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Whataburger.

Worked for Whataburger? Contribute to the Community!