There are newer employer reviews for Whirlpool

Appliance Giant How the good guys win!

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Quality products, Vision and core values of company are a good mesh with my personal values. Whirlpool is very upstanding in all of it's business functions.

Cons

The industry is very tight. There has not been a significant price increase in 40+ years. Everyone has to work VERY hard to keep things moving in the right direction. The strategy that I find the least helpful is the processes used for our GIS support, contract workforces, primarily offshore. In the information age, our data should have more care.

Advice to Management

Rebuild our foundations, since bringing in Maytag, we have been working very hard and very lean. Some of our data structures and our business model needs to be reworked to match our business and to be world class.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. The potential is huge

Current Employee - Contract Account Manager
    Current Employee - Contract Account Manager

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Large stable company in troubled time should survive.

Cons

Zero comunication on things that need changed, It department is very very far behind the world. In a industry that is seeing radical challenges to our survival we are just trying to get buy, There is little on no creativity for moving the company into the 21st centrury. Our information systems are dinosaours and consequently we "do not know what we do not know"..

Advice to Management

Fix your SAP system, thepay structure would be fine if some one Knew what it was. No one in the company has any idea what other people and departments are doing

Company's health deteriorates under the guidance of CEO Jeff Fettig.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Whirlpool

Pros

It looks good on a resume and Whirlpool's benefits are competitive.

Cons

Lack of stability. A requirement that you hold a position a minimum of 18 months before moving across departments. Managers are often promoted because there are no other options. Managers are incredibly incompetent. The pattern seems to be promote if successful within 3 months, thereby never acheiving a thorough knowledge of a position in such a way that you can champion it. The work spaces themselves are very small -- for example, a cube about 4 X 5. Lower level employees with absolutely no compunction to do an excellent job -- just whatever is required to get by. The use of software that really doesn't fit the application, but having spent an incredible amount on the software, they feel compelled to use it. And the biggest downside is that upper level managers seem to think that decision making is best without the input of the individual contributors -- those people at the bottom that actually do the work. Amazingly they don't even think to solicit the input of the contributor who can provide the very best information to make the most informed decision.

Advice to Management

Crack the mold for the people you are looking for. Next time you lay people off, lay off 20% more so that you can add back employees who have never crossed a Whirlpool threshold. And keep those fresh, non-Whirlpool bred people on the payroll long enough to let them bring new life to your company. You are dying a quick death and you've lost touch with reality. Apart from that recommendation, how about taking VP's and having them schedule random, weekly lunches with individual contributors -- to find out what is really going on in the trenches.