Maybe it's too "nice"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Benton Harbor, MI
Current Employee - Brand Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Very "easy" place to work. People here love their jobs and it has a real small town feel about it.

Cons

Ironically, the strengths are also weaknesses. People are very comfortable and many folks have been here a long time. There is much talk of change, but the people here were a part of creating the current culture and processes, so real change is slow at best. Missing is a sense of urgency.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at what it means to truly transform a company into a branded consumer driven operation. Take a lesson from auto makers...being the biggest is no guarantee of long term success in and of itself.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Company For The Right Person.

Current Employee - Associate Financial Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Financial Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Whirlpool has a great culture and the people are very nice to work with. Whirlpool does at times offer the ability to move into other functions in order to strengthen a persons business experience. Whirlpool also offers great opportunities to become involved in all aspects of the business if you are willing to invest the effort. Great place if you have a family and kids.

Cons

There is a heavy amount of politics that go on at Whirlpool and advancement weighs heavily on your ability to manage it appropriately. Benton Harbor, MI will be a difficult town to live in if you are under 35 and single. Rents are high for the quality and the convenience and culture of bigger cities are greatly lacking.

Advice to Management

Focus.

2. Whirlpool Marion. A Typical American Company.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Marion, OH
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Marion, OH

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

It is one of the better paying jobs in the area. We have a 401k match program that is nice not great but nice. Whirlpool has a lot of help programs for employees financial workshops, smoking cessation program, Stress management help, a nurse help line and a company doctor on site. We have a plant emergency team on all three shifts. helth and safety are very important here. We have a new DVP who seems to have a good head on his shoulders. We are working hard on lean events to make us more cost effective. There are a lot of great people here to work with.

Cons

They cut the education reimbursement program. Health benefits have been cut in the last ten years to minimum or almost minimum coverage. Management has not taken the advice from engineers to the line worker on worn out machines and dies. We are now forced to deal with all the problems that come from years of neglect. Some of our skilled trades areas are not given tools or machines to preform there daily tasks efficiently or in a timely mannor. Some of the skilled trades areas are under staffed to complete the work necessary to keep the shop running. There are a lot of little problems that could be fixed to help the prosses run more efficiently.

Advice to Management

Maybe we should do a lean event in the Senior Management area to see if we can cut cost here. It seems very lopsided when we have to cut out jobs on the line 35k - 40k each and have someone working for more than 10 times that giving all of our products non-value added expence. NAR is much like Ford and GM very top heavy. We should do lean acrossed the board.