Whirlpool

www.whirlpoolcorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Whirlpool

Company's health deteriorates under the guidance of CEO Jeff Fettig.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Whirlpool

Pros

It looks good on a resume and Whirlpool's benefits are competitive.

Cons

Lack of stability. A requirement that you hold a position a minimum of 18 months before moving across departments. Managers are often promoted because there are no other options. Managers are incredibly incompetent. The pattern seems to be promote if successful within 3 months, thereby never acheiving a thorough knowledge of a position in such a way that you can champion it. The work spaces themselves are very small -- for example, a cube about 4 X 5. Lower level employees with absolutely no compunction to do an excellent job -- just whatever is required to get by. The use of software that really doesn't fit the application, but having spent an incredible amount on the software, they feel compelled to use it. And the biggest downside is that upper level managers seem to think that decision making is best without the input of the individual contributors -- those people at the bottom that actually do the work. Amazingly they don't even think to solicit the input of the contributor who can provide the very best information to make the most informed decision.

Crack the mold for the people you are looking for. Next time you lay people off, lay off 20% more so that you can add back employees who have never crossed a Whirlpool threshold. And keep those fresh, non-Whirlpool bred people on the payroll long enough to let them bring new life to your company. You are dying a quick death and you've lost touch with reality. Apart from that recommendation, how about taking VP's and having them schedule random, weekly lunches with individual contributors -- to find out what is really going on in the trenches.

461 Other Employee Reviews for Whirlpool (View Most Recent)

Whirlpool Marion. A Typical American Company.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Marion, OH
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Marion, OH

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

It is one of the better paying jobs in the area. We have a 401k match program that is nice not great but nice. Whirlpool has a lot of help programs for employees financial workshops, smoking cessation program, Stress management help, a nurse help line and a company doctor on site. We have a plant emergency team on all three shifts. helth and safety are very important here. We have a new DVP who seems to have a good head on his shoulders. We are working hard on lean events to make us more cost effective. There are a lot of great people here to work with.

Cons

They cut the education reimbursement program. Health benefits have been cut in the last ten years to minimum or almost minimum coverage. Management has not taken the advice from engineers to the line worker on worn out machines and dies. We are now forced to deal with all the problems that come from years of neglect. Some of our skilled trades areas are not given tools or machines to preform there daily tasks efficiently or in a timely mannor. Some of the skilled trades areas are under staffed to complete the work necessary to keep the shop running. There are a lot of little problems that could be fixed to help the prosses run more efficiently.

Maybe we should do a lean event in the Senior Management area to see if we can cut cost here. It seems very lopsided when we have to cut out jobs on the line 35k - 40k each and have someone working for more than 10 times that giving all of our products non-value added expence. NAR is much like Ford and GM very top heavy. We should do lean acrossed the board.

small cog in a big machine

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Whirlpool

Pros

business acument, good training programs, insight into corporate america, springboard for next career, colleagues. Good learning grounds for future jobs.

Cons

Poor management communication, lack of concern for the little guys, lack of vision, lack of openness to new ideas, new concepts, innovation. Poor communication among all the different divisions throughout the world: There are certainly interesting career opportunities in different countries, but good employees leave because these positions are either not known nor well communicated. Among They don't provide enough incentive to keep good people in such an uninteresting, small little community like Benton Harbor, Saint Joseph. There is too little investment in the people.

Be more attentive to customers, listen to employees, take more stock in employee skills before their gone.

There are newer employer reviews for Whirlpool