Whirlpool

There are newer employer reviews for Whirlpool

Maintenance Guy

Former Employee - A - Class Maintenance in Cleveland, TN
Former Employee - A - Class Maintenance in Cleveland, TN

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Whirlpool (previously Maytag Cleveland Cooking Products) had an apprenticeship program, which allowed anyone who could pass the entrance exam and get through the inteview process to begin a career in maintenance. A four year program (part time) at the local college (Electro-mechanical maintenance certification) ALL EXPENSES PAID !!!!! Concurrently, there was three years of hands-on apprenticeship, with the guys who actually kept the place running and have done so for up to 30 years. WONDERFUL Opportunity !!!!!!

Cons

What can I say, it's ALL about the bottom line. I wish it weren't so, but as the cost of living continued to rise, the pay stagnated. Our annul raises only covered the additional cost of benefits.
UnfortunateIy, I had to leave the company to fnd more gainful employment. 10 + years of experience out the door.

It's ALL about the bottom line, companies have made that all to clear to their employees.
A persons loyalty to their employer is in great part tied to how well that they can supply their families needs. I suggest a quarterly profit sharing bonus structures implementation would help tremendously. Quality, attendance and LOYALTY to the company would soar to new heights.

448 Other Employee Reviews for Whirlpool (View Most Recent)

great company

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great great company to grow your career by creating opportunity for you to challenge yourself and gain different experience. Love the company culture and company strives to engage employees.

Cons

between brand, category, finance, procurement, engineering..... they all have global structure and regional team, think about the complexity when it comes to decision making. won't say it's the most efficient company in the world. plus, they shuffle people around quickly and they won't even get chance to execute their strategy yet.

who really owns P/L? too many people have say in it

The more things change the more they stay the same!

Former Employee - I T Person
    Former Employee - I T Person

I worked at Whirlpool full-time

Pros

Good products and great discounts

Cons

The I.T department is a joke. They outsource all there infrastructure and they pay for the lowest level of support which makes for very unstable systems. They are more interested in hiring a manager than an actual I.T person. They do not value technical skills at all. If you know too much they will try and get rid of you.

Forced rankings - they have this system where they basically manage you up or they manage you out. They will literally make up anything they like against you and put it in your employee record. HR will side with management every time. I know someone who was given a poor rating and they didn't receive a single comment as to why.

Thinking of working in I.T here? Ask the managers about turnover. Find out how long the managers and directors have held their current positions. You'll notice most people are new because the turnover is so high. Ask them what happened to the person who held the position before? Ask them if the person is still with the company?

Management sticks together - if you're a bully and have no problem giving out bad ratings and reviews you will rise to the top. If you do what's right and fight for your employees you will sink like a rock!

Are there good people here? Yes but they are few and far between. The new people they seem to be hiring are short term folks who are just passing through. The type of folks who come in an experiment. They ruin people's careers while trying to rise to the level of their own incompetence.

If you are considering a job (careers don't last here), consider yourself warned!

Ethics....get some!