Whirlpool

www.whirlpoolcorp.com
  www.whirlpoolcorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Whirlpool

Very people-oriented, takes too long to make decisions

Current Employee - Project Manager in Benton Harbor, MI
Current Employee - Project Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company pays a lot of attention to employee engagement, which is fantastic. There are plenty of opportunities to move into new roles and each employee is driven to be an active part of their career development.

Cons

The company is highly "matrixed" - along functional, regional, and product category boundaries - that creates unnecessarily long timing for decisions to be made. They use a "forced ranking" system of performance management - fitting a pool of similar roles into a forced distribution of performance. That drives behavior that places the individual before the company - I have never heard so many comments regarding "PMP" at a company in my life.

Continue the focus on employee engagement and get rid of the forced ranking.

448 Other Employee Reviews for Whirlpool (View Most Recent)

Market Manager

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and good pay.

Cons

Their PMP review system is a joke. With this system, management has to give an employee a "needs improvement" or "exceeds improvement' rating every year regardless of their performance.
    Promotion is based on who you know and not what you know or how you perform.
    The appliance industry is very competitive now and the only reason Whirlpool has been profitable the last few years is cut backs to cost and not volume.

Get rid of the PMP system. If you can't rely on your managers to give an accurate assessment of each employee, they shouldn't be in management.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work for someone looking to move up the career ladder. This company likes to develop its talent. I really liked the products Whirlpool offered and learning about the different brands. Overall I really loved working for this company and left because of my spouse's job.

Cons

At the time I worked there they needed to improve their customer relationship management software. This may not be a con to all people, but it was to me; If you want to move up in this company than you will ultimately end up in Benton Harbor, MI.

I think that processes needed to be improved to offer more consistancy throughout the organization.

There are newer employer reviews for Whirlpool